We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Days in New Zealand for Honeymoon

Everett, Washington
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
7 Days in New Zealand for Honeymoon

My fiance and I will be heading through New Zealand as part of our month long honeymoon, spending ~7 days in country, coming in from either Fiji or Australia (either Melbourne or Sydney). At the end, we'll be flying either to Australia or Japan. We're last 20s/early 30s.

Any suggestions on the best way to split our time there between North and South Island? We're decent adrenaline junkies, so zip lining, rafting, hiking, and exciting stuff is our main focus. Well, that and we'll have to hit 1 or 2 LOTR sites. We've driven in Ireland for 12 days, so we can get to places that way if it helps. We'll also be newly scuba certified so if there are some simple 'can't miss' dives those are possible.

We're going to be skimping on our accommodations to make room for cooler things to do, but I expect our budget in country to be 2k-3k.

Thanks for your help.

Everett, Washington
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Days in New Zealand for Honeymoon

I forgot to mention, we will be there late March/early April.

California
Level Contributor
7,145 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 Days in New Zealand for Honeymoon

My head kept saying, "Queenstown, Queenstown, Queenstown," until I read the last bit regarding scuba. Queenstown is the hub for extreme activities and a beautiful 45 minute drive to Glenorchy takes you to several LOTR filming locations.

Scuba - Poor Knights Island. It's north of Auckland on the North Island. northlandnz.com/destinations/tutukaka_poor_k…

Auckland
Level Contributor
493 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Days in New Zealand for Honeymoon

I would suggest that you base yourself in Queenstown for the majority of your stay.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 Days in New Zealand for Honeymoon

Queenstown for 7 days - you will be wanting longer.

happy honeymoon :)

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 Days in New Zealand for Honeymoon

The Poor Knights Islands is a 'can't miss' dive location in NZ. Dive trips depart from Tutukaka harbour, approx. 2.5 hours drive north of Auckland. There are some great dive sites around the wrecks located around the Bay of Islands including at Matauri Bay.

Either stay put on the South Island for the entire length of your short stay, or the North Island. Some other North Island activities include Skytower walk, Auckland harbour bridge walk, zip line on Waiheke Island, eco-cruises and sailing adventures on Auckland harbour and Hauraki Gulf, sea kayaking on the harbour, snorkelling in the marine reserves at Goat Island (Matakana coast) and Coromandel, black-water tubing at Waitomo Caves, white water rafting on BOP rivers, Tongariro Crossing day-hike, Huka jet and nearby thermal parks and mineral springs.

All the best with your honeymoon planning.

California
Level Contributor
7,145 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 Days in New Zealand for Honeymoon

I would suggest your initial and primary destination to New Zealand be Queenstown. You will probably have to connect in Auckland to depart, so plan on about 3 days to (1) drive to Tutukaka (2) dive Poor Knights Island (3) return Auckland and fly out.

I know there are some guidelines to air travel after diving, please heed them.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,122 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 Days in New Zealand for Honeymoon

Hi,

Queenstown.

Cheers,

8. Re: 7 Days in New Zealand for Honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 07:16