We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hostel prices across new zealand

Overpelt, Belgium
Level Contributor
26 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
hostel prices across new zealand

I was in NZ during winter, more than a year ago.

On average I must have paid roughly 20 euros per day for a bunk bed in a 6 bed dorm.

I am coming over again at the end of august, for 90 days to explore both islands. Apparantly this is spring in New Zealand.

I am trying to check hostel prices across both Islands, but it seems that they are heavily affected by operators online charging all kinds of fees.

Is it realistic to find dorm rooms in the range of 20-25 euros per day in september-oktober-november? Across both islands?

This would come down to 600 euros monthly, which is the price of a fancy private apartment where I live. I am okay with this but not if the price runs up significantly higher.

I'd like to invest in activities rather than wasting too much on basic accomodation

Edited: 17 June 2014, 00:04
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hostel prices across new zealand

Perhaps you mis-remember how much you paid?

The usual rate is $20 - $25 per night - this is 12 - 16 Euros

http://www.newzealand.com/int/backpackers/

Blenheim, New...
Level Contributor
844 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hostel prices across new zealand

Agree, 20 euros a night is towards the high end.

September-November is shoulder season, and in most cases prices would still be lower then during the busy summer period.

3. Re: hostel prices across new zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2015, 06:16