We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A "must do" day walk?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Topic
A "must do" day walk?

Hi guys,

Will be doing second trip to NZ in December hopefully.

Now, we haven't detailed our trip yet, but most likely will be just Christchurch, Queenstown, Milford, Fox Glacier (we missed this on our first visit), Mt Cook.

This time, we'll have effective 14 days. Do you guys have a list of a "must do" day walk? We love hiking / tramping, but we don't really want to camp..

Cheers.

California
Level Contributor
6,909 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A "must do" day walk?

Along Milford Road, Key Summit Track

At Mount Cook, Hooker Valley Track

In Wanaka (yes, you should include Wanaka), Rob Roy Track

Fox Glacier, Lake Matheson walk - early to mid morning to get reflection views of mountains

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,024 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A "must do" day walk?

One of the day walks considered to be the top ten in the world is Tongariro crossing, however, it is in the central North Island.

there are many many fantastic day walks throughout the South Island. All the National Parks have day and multi day walks. My local favourites would be Abel Tasman National Park - walking combined with stunning beaches and swimming!

However, I suggest you map out iternary and then look at walks in the area

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,608 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A "must do" day walk?

In Christchurch I love the walk from Taylors Mistake to Godley Head, with views from Pegasus Bay to the Alps; and a shorter walk for those without a car is the historic Bridle Path from the base of the Gondola to Lyttelton. You can access both ends of this walk by #28 bus.

In Arthurs Pass, I like Bealey Spur as a typical SI walk through beech forest & up onto sub-alpine tussock. Again the views over the braided Waimakariri River bed, up to the Crow Glacier etc are superb.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A "must do" day walk?

Milford Road - Key Summit

Wanaka has so many - Diamond Lake and Rocky Mt; Rob Roy Glacier; Waterfall Creek to Glendu Bay

Abel Tasman and Aoraki/Mt Cook - both have lots of choices

California
Level Contributor
6,909 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A "must do" day walk?

Adding that for our next visit to Queenstown (Feb '15, yay!), we are keen to do the day trip of Routeburn Track to the Falls and back. Crichton Loop track was a nice track on our last trip. It filled time nicely, but not a "must do" for the country.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A "must do" day walk?

Forgot to mention, we did the Hooker Valley Track on our first visit, so we'll skip it this time.

Also, we noticed that it was not really well marked when we walked the HV track. Is this true for all day walks? We tried to find a good walk in Glenorchy (can't remember the name on top of my head) but we were quite lost and decided to go back to our car, cancelling the walk.

7. Re: A "must do" day walk?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 05:16