We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NZ Camper Van Hire

Scarborough, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
NZ Camper Van Hire

Hi, we'll be flying into Auckland and staying there a few days, then we're gonna get a camper van and drive to Christchurch where we're be flying out of. Gonna have it for 2-3 weeks.

What's your experience of camper van hire in NZ? Any companies you recommend? I've looked at Apollo and a friend recommended Jucy. Any others?

Thanks very much in advance.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NZ Camper Van Hire

Worth your while looking at this site - www.rankers.co.nz. So many companies, but this may point you in the right direction.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,369 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NZ Camper Van Hire

Hi CS :)

See the FAQs box over on the top right of this page?

see the link which says Apollo campervans?

I suggest you click on it and read.

I have used Maui and recommend them highly.

Ensure you have a fully compliant campervan - with shower, loo and kitchen. DOC campsites are often in stunning locations and are less expensive than commercial campsites http://www.camping.org.nz/

When do you plan to travel?

happy planning :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: NZ Camper Van Hire

Hi we are gong to the south island next Feb,it took me ages to decide which camper van company to use as there seemed to be a lot of negative comments about all of the companies. In the end we have gone with Britz as a friend of ours came back from NZ last year after using them and they were very pleased. Shall report back when we've done our trip!

Good Luck

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NZ Camper Van Hire

We have just had 10 days (September 2014) on the North Island of New Zealand and rented a HiTop campervan from Apollo at Auckland airport for our trip.

When we stopped for the first night the weather was miserable so we decided to hop inside the van and have a cup of coffee. First we tried to work out how to setup the table to sit at. We soon discovered that the camper they gave us did not have a table at all. It also had two extra seats in the back which we didn’t need or want as they took up a huge amount of space. I pulled out my phone and again looked at the Apollo website and discovered that this was NOT the HiTop campervan internal layout shown in the drawing on the Apollo website (which we used to choose what campervan to rent).

We found the design of this camper absolutely dysfunctional so much so that, with the poor weather during our trip, we ended up staying at motels and guest houses most of the time as living inside this camper was totally impossible. When we returned the camper we complained bitterly about having to pay several hundred dollars for motel and guest house accommodation which we wouldn’t have had to do if the camper was the correct one.

Apollo’s response was that they were terribly sorry but this was the “new” design of the HiTop camper. They promised us that their manager at Auckland would be in touch to see if he could compensate us in some way for the additional accommodation expenses that we had incurred.

Unfortunately we have not heard from the Apollo manager and we have just checked today on the Apollo website and the HiTop camper specification drawing is still the vehicle that would have suited us but that is not what Apollo rented us.

Basically our campervan holiday was a disaster.

So, if you are game to deal with Apollo, make sure that Apollo gives you the vehicle that suits your needs.

Also research the Insurance requirements as they demand that you pay a NZD $5000 damage deposit and actually insist that they debit it to your credit card (plus 2% for the privilege). They could have just put a “hold” on the credit card for the $5000 but they refused to do this. This seemed to be a bit of a scam to me (and many others if you Google it) but I would have been OK with it if the camper that Apollo supplied us was the correct one.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,369 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NZ Camper Van Hire

Welcome to the forum Paul :)

Well it is good you found TA - just a shame you didn't come here before you booked your trip. There is a entire thread on Apollo in the FAQ box - upper right of this page.

Hope your future travels run more smoothly :)

6. Re: NZ Camper Van Hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2015, 08:19