We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring with New Zealand Trails

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Touring with New Zealand Trails

Has anyone travelled recently ( within the last year) with "New Zealand Trails" ?

They appear to have been around since 2002 but I can't find any reviews about the company or people who have travelled with them apart from the reviews that appear on their own web site. I'm naturally a bit cynical and wouldn't expect them to display and negative reviews. I'm thinking of doing their 13 day trip in the south island, anyone done this trip or know someone who's been on it ?

Any info will help. MANY thanks

John S

27 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
7,127 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring with New Zealand Trails

It's a new company. In the "Our Story" page, it states:

>>>New Zealand Trails is an exciting new adventure between two established New Zealand hiking and outdoor tour companies - First Light Travel in Auckland and Hiking Guys in the South Island.<<<

You might try looking for reviews of First Light Travel and Hiking Guys.

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring with New Zealand Trails

Ok that's a start. thanks

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring with New Zealand Trails

Hi John :)

The company formed last year I think. I have spoken with Andrew from the company - easy going, friendly and relaxed, yet strives hard to offer a quality tour.

I did suggest that the top of the South Island is missing from their itinerary - Abel Tasman, Golden Bay and Marlborough Sounds - he said that will happen eventually.

So from the website, and my talking with Andrew, this is what impresses me about the company -

- these guys really know their stuff - they have tramped and explored every nook and cranny

- they love what they do

- costs are reasonable for the quality they offer

- the single supplement is less than many charge

I have recommended the company a couple of times here on the forum - still awaiting feedback from anyone who tours with them.

If you do travel with them, please leave a review afterward to let us know how it goes.

Best of luck :)

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Touring with New Zealand Trails

Hi John,

My husband Mike and I went on the New Zealand Trails South Island Tour this February. We had a wonderful time. Andrew is a genuine guy who knows the area very well and goes out of his way to make your trip as memorable as possible. It's hard to pick my favorite part of the adventure because I truthfully enjoyed it all. The flight over Milford Sound, night at Martins Bay and Hollyford Track tramp where stunning but the brilliant green mossy forest of the Routeburn Track is so quietly beautiful. Mike and I have always been independent travelers but I think we did and saw much more with the well planned itinerary than we would have done on our own. There is no substitute for local experience. The compact tour bus was very comfortable and traveling in a small group gives much more flexibility than with a large tour. We liked the comfortable hotels many with amazing views and Andrew knows great places to eat.

We unreservedly recommend the company.

Val and Mike S

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Touring with New Zealand Trails

Hi Val and Mike, great feedback :)

Some questions please -

were most of those on your trip couples? friends? solo?

and the age ranges?

nationalities?

Thanks... and welcome to the forum :)

Christchurch
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Touring with New Zealand Trails

Hi everyone and thanks for your comments.

I'm Andrew Wells, one of the owners of New Zealand Trails.

We wish there was a forum for reviews for multi day tours on this site, but currently there isn't. We love TripAdvisor and welcome comments and feedback about our trip and hope this forum can provide the information everyone is looking for.

NZ Trails was formed in 2013 by myself and two partners so yes, it's a new venture but the staff, systems and operations have been running for over ten years. It's a coming together of my previous business (HikingGuys) and First Light Travel, both formed in around 2002.

There are a lot of reviews for Hiking Guys under the day tour I used to run in Christchurch until the earthquakes. (Arthur's Pass Hiking & TranzAlpine One Day Tour) Someone else is running this trip now but the first 50 reviews were under my ownership and many mention me personally.

As a travel agency, First Light Travel doesn't have it's own listing on this site but does appear in searches in the forums, with client reviews there as well.

If anyone would like to speak to any of our past guests, we're more than happy to arrange this so please feel free to get in touch.

Thanks again.

Andrew

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Touring with New Zealand Trails

Our group was a couple and solo traveler's who had not met before the trip. We where all in our 50's and early 60's , Canadian, American and British. Add a younger Kiwi (Andrew) and we had a good mix for lively conversation on our travels.

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Touring with New Zealand Trails

Thank you very much. Very helpful

John S

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Touring with New Zealand Trails

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Your response was just the sort of commendation we were looking for.

Thanks again.

John S

Calgary
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Touring with New Zealand Trails

I was on of the members of the February tour group that Val and Mike mentioned in their posts above. I too can highly recommend New Zealand Trails. My comments on their website are all sincere (Cathy, Canada)and I would suggest that this company is unlikely to have received any real negative feedback. I've travelled extensively and have participated in all manner of tour both solo and group, and this was by far one of the best organized I've enjoyed. I don't think there was a single glitch. It was my 2nd trip to New Zealand. The 1st was concentrated on the North Island and while there were some memorable moments, it doesn't compare to what the South Island has to offer for those seeking outdoor adventure and breath taking vistas. There's more geographic diversity than I've ever seen in such a small area. It's really quite amazing. You have a beautiful country, awesome people, great food, and a fantastic tour guide just to mention some of the highlights. What's not to like? And I wouldn't worry about the mix of travellers. I should think that all will be like-minded regardless of age or nationality. That's been my experience and on this trip I found there was absolutely nothing to worry about. If New Zealand is your destination of choice I don't think you'll find a much better company than New Zealand Trails. Whatever you decide, enjoy your holiday.

Reply to: Touring with New Zealand Trails
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted