We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South to North Island ferry crossing

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
71 posts
235 reviews
Save Topic
South to North Island ferry crossing

As most car hire firms do not allow hire to extend from South to North can some helpful person tell me how difficult it will be if my wife and I are having to transfer as foot passengers with four quite large and heavy suitcases onto and then off one of the ferries for our crossing?

Are there trollies and, on the ferry, are there flights of stairs to get up and down?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,682 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South to North Island ferry crossing

It is actually much easier than you imagine. Check-in is like an airport so your bags are taken away and you reclaim them from a carousel at the other end. You only carry on your hand luggage.

If you haven't booked your rental car yet are you aware that Apex allows you to take your car onto the ferry?

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
71 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South to North Island ferry crossing

Many thanks - that all sounds very civilised and very easy. Much different to UK ferries (though I may be slandering some of the bigger ones).

That will be one less thing to worry about.

I'd noticed that Apex allow transfer crossings and will invstigate further.

Thanks again.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South to North Island ferry crossing

Plus in some cases Apex will pay the cost of the car of the ferry, you just pay for yourselves. This can be a considerable saving.

4. Re: South to North Island ferry crossing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2015, 06:16