We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Island suggestions

Overpelt, Belgium
Level Contributor
26 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
North Island suggestions

I'll arrive in Auckland on the 23rd and I'm making a to do list for both islands.

for now it looks like this:

1) arrival in Auckland, need 3 days to get over my jetlag from Western Europe

2) Waitomo caves

3) Rotorua volcanos (I don't know if I just have to get there and visit, or get there and join a paid tour)

4) Hobbiton tour

5) Lake Taupo skydiving

6) family visit in Wellington

Going down south from there, my list for the south island is complete.

Is this a doable schedule or am I missing something essential up north? I plan to buy a naked bus pass to get me around both islands. But then again, I don't know how I should get from the north island to the south island

cheers

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,692 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Island suggestions

Welcome to the NZ Forum. I don't know what exactly you mean by "Rotorua volcanoes". Do you mean the Rotorua thermal parks ( mud pools & geysers); the extinct volcano Mt Tarawera or the active "central" volcanoes of the Tongariro National Park - quite a long way from Rotorua?

It is easier if you number by the days rather than having us guess how many days you have.

1-3. Arr AKL; explore

4. Take a Great Sights tour to Waitomo Caves & Hobbiton, ending in Rotorua

5. Explore Rotorua

6. Bus to Tongariro NP

7. Bus to Wellington.

If you have more days you could add a full day at TNP or Taupo.

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Island suggestions

There are tours available for Mt Tarawera (flights & four wheel drive) and, although expensive, are well worthwhile on a clear day. While in Rotorua, I would recommend a visit to the Rotorua Museum as the story of the eruption of Mt Tarawera is told via film. There are many aspects of the museum to absorb as, if you have allowed enough time, you can watch many of the visual stories of the area. The museum also has art displays and there is an area downstairs depicting the health treatments used when Rotorua was a world renowned spa treatment town.

Leave enough days to explore Rotorua as there are several thermal areas to explore; the Maori culture and several adrenalin activities such as luging, mountain biking, rafting. Kuirau Park with bubbling mud pools, hot lakes and foot spa is free to enjoy.

Visit the I site and/or ask your accommodation advisor for information on the many things to do and see.

Overpelt, Belgium
Level Contributor
26 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Island suggestions

Thank you Zhuhai

My visa lasts 3 months and I intend to use all days, so basically time is not a factor for any location.

I thought that Rotorua had active volcanos, combined with the geysers and hot springs.

Now I had a closer look I realize there is no volcano there but that's okay.

I'm not really on a budget, but I prefer adventure sports + scenic tours over cultural events/ museums

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,692 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Island suggestions

In that case definitely add 2 N/1 day or longer in Tongariro NP. There are numerous short walks on the slopes of the 3 volcanoes, or if fit enough you can walk the Tongariro Crossing.

5. Re: North Island suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2015, 05:17