We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One way route to have time for trekking

London, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
One way route to have time for trekking

Hi

I am planning a trip to NZ for 3 weeks between 25.10 and 15.11 (plus fights).

I have done a lot of reading and changed my plans few times already to make the most of my time and not to ruin my budget. Can anyone please comment on my thoughts?

I am going with my girlfriend. We would love to do mostly trekking (still some spaces for Milford and Routeburn). However kayaking, visits to caves and all similar activities are equally important. To save time it seems that the best is to fly to Auckland end either catch a fight to Christchurch straight away and start trekkings from there (Have more time for trekkings? 2 weeks Southern and 1 week Northern isch) or do it other way around. And there are some questions. Which way around would be better ? Also would it be better to fly to Queenstown and basically drive along Western coast to skip Christchurch?

As you can probably see it is our first time in NZ so any advise is appreciated.

I know there are other tracks in Tasman area or Volcanos at North. Is it worth going there rather than spend most on famous South?

I am a bit concerned about trekking of Routeburn if there is snow. I have done some winter treks in Austrian Alps. Is it all different?

Thanks a lot

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,296 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One way route to have time for trekking

Welcome to TA. There are literally hundreds of different routes for tramping in NZ, but the easiest for a novice (most infrastructure including huts, bridges, signposts & transport to/from) are known as the "Great Walks".

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

To access the Routeburn & Milford you should fly directly to Queenstown (or if doing NI first, fly FROM ZQN to AKL at the ned of your trip). You would need 8 days to do both, leaving you with 13 days to travel a route like this:

25/10. Arr AKL

26. Elxplore

27. Coach to Rotorua

28. Explore

29. Coach to Tongariro NP

30. Hike the Tongariro Crossing

31. Coach or train to Wellington

1/11. AM explore WLG; PM ferry to Picton

2/11. Coastal Pacific train to Christchurch

3/11. Explore

4/11. Bus to Mt Cook

5/11. Bus to Queenstown

6/11. Shop for food etc

7/11. Shuttle to Routeburn Shelter; tramp to Routeburn Falls Hut

8/11. Tramp to Mc Kenzie Hut

9/11. Tramp to Howden Hut

10/11. tramp to The Divide early; Track Net shuttle to Te Anau

11/11. Boat to Milford Track

12/11 & 13/11 on MT

14/11. Boat from Sandfly Pt to Milford Sound. Bus to Queenstown

15/11 Fly back to AKL & home.

By November there shouldn't be too many problems with snow but it can snow at any time of the year in Fiordland at high altitude. You would still need good quality warm clothing & a waterproof jacket.

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One way route to have time for trekking

Hi zhuhai2007

Thank you so much for your reply. I know there are hundreds similar questions on the forum but I struggled to find what I needed.

I spent most of today trying to put something together. I forgot to mention in my previous post that we are happy to rent a car to be able to get to not the most popular (crowded) places. Do you think coach/train would be better?

I think we will have to sadly avoid Milford Track. There is no spaces in huts after 7th Nov. We are planning to do Kepler and Routeburn tracks (more alpine views?) and add some day trips like kayaking in MS or trip to Doubtful Sound. I know it might sound silly but is it really a something different to anything else (a MUST) ? What would you say about this plan?

25/10 Arrive, rent a car and go to Matamata area

26/10 Hobbiton

27/10 Rotorua/Tampo

28/10 Tongariro Crossing

29/10 Tongariro Crossing

30/10 and 31/10 Drive towards Wellington see Tararua Forest Park (???)

01/11 - 02/11 Abel Tasman Park/Trek (any suggestions?)

03/11 - 04//11 Mt Cook/Franz Josef

05/11 - Te Anau (short walks on the way from Mt Cook)

06-07-08/11 Kepler Track

09-10/11 Milford Sound, Doubtful Sound (whatever possible)

11-12-13/11 Routeburn Track

14/11 Day to fit somewhere (No booking yet) Any suggestions ?

15/11 Morning flight to Auckland to pick up an evening flight

If you have any other ideas which I can explore please let me know.

We really appreciate your help

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One way route to have time for trekking

You say you are happy to rent a car yet you have allowed no travel days to get from place to place.

And please - don't even think of driving on arrivel in NZ after a flight from the UK. Jet lag kills. On arrival get out and explore Auckland by foot and public transport - soak up sunshine as it helps your body adjust to the new time zone.

1-2 Nov... drive to Wellington, 4 hour ferry to Picton, drive 3 hours to Abel Tasman - this leaves just one day to explore

3 drive 6 hours plus stops to Christchurch

4 drive 4.5 hours plus stops to Aoraki/Mt Cook - leaving 1/2 day to explore

5 drive 6 hours plus stops to Te Anau - which hikes do you plan to do enroute?

I suggest you do a massive rethink.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,296 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One way route to have time for trekking

Are you bringing your Tardis? You haven't allowed time to get from A to B!

Specifically ... Please do not drive as soon as you get off the plane. Jetlag is a killer. You don't need 24 hr for Hobbiton.

25. Arr AKL; relax

26. Drive to Hobbiton; tour; continue on to Rotorua

27. Explore Rotorua - so much to do, you need at least a full day.

28. Drive to Taupo & on to TNP

29. TC

30. Drive to WLG ( you need to gain a day for the SI so have to skip the Tararuas)

31. Ferry to Picton; drive to Nelson

1. Explore ATNP

Now this is where it gets tricky - if you go via FJG, ie the West Coast it will take a minimum of 3 days ( ideally 4) to get to Te Anau. If you go via Chch & Mt Cook it is still going to take you 3 days to get to Te Anau without doing crazy daily distances - it is around 1000km. Allowing one day for short walks and you are looking at 4-5 days. If you haven't booked your huts yet I'd put both walks back by a day so you finish at Routeburn Shelter on the 14th. Shuttle to Queenstown, ready to fly home on the 15th.

California
Level Contributor
6,763 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One way route to have time for trekking

I'm confused by the two days for the Tongariro Crossing. It's a one-day trek. If you mean the Tongariro Circuit, that requires 3-4 days. Or are you allowing the two days to see what the weather does?

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: One way route to have time for trekking

I thought I can drive towards Matamata for an hour or so to the nearest hotel. To be honest I probably do not realize how bad jet lag could be. Will rearrange. Thanks

This plan is just a draft. We have never been to NZ and I am just trying to mark the main points.

Wellington - Tasman - We will do whatever it takes. Will work around ferry times. No rush and no need for short walks later.

Christchurch - Did not plan to go there. Drive along West Coast (No 6) towards Queenstown. Why did you mention Christchurch?

Again no need for short walks.

Thanks for comments and any more suggestions are more than welcome

California
Level Contributor
6,763 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One way route to have time for trekking

>>>Christchurch - Did not plan to go there. Drive along West Coast (No 6) towards Queenstown. Why did you mention Christchurch?

You've muddled Franz Josef and Mount Cook together. They are on opposite sides of the mountain range. Christchurch was mentioned because you'd have to get over that direction to be able to visit and do the walks at Mount Cook.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One way route to have time for trekking

Aoraki/Mt Cook isn't on the West Coast - to get from Abel Tasman to Aoraki you pass by Chch.

to get from Abel Tasman to Te Anau down the West Coast you would go;

1 drive 4 hours to Punakaiki

2 drive 3 hours to Franz Josef

3 drive 5 - 6 hours Haast Pass to Wanaka

4 drive 3 hours to Te Anau

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: One way route to have time for trekking

deSchenke - I was also confused about it so I allowed 2 days just in case :)

zhuhai2007 - You are wright. I did not allow for travelling. Mainly because I did not get into details jet. I have revised plan as you suggested. Kepler and Routeburn at the back with a day break. That gives me 7 full days between arrival at Picton and start on Kepler. This should be plenty to do 1000km between Nelson and Te Anau. Will work on details.

Thank you very much

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: One way route to have time for trekking

Thanks for all your help. I did a more detailed plan.

Can you comment on this please:

Arrive Hotel and relax

Day 1 Hobbiton, Drive to Rotorua

Day 2 Rotorua

Day 3 Taupo and NP

Day 4 Tongariro Crossing

Day 5 Drive to Wellington, Track on the way?

Day 6 Wellington - Ferry to Picton/Drive to Nelson

Day 7 Abel Tasman

Day 8 Abel Tasman

Day 9 Drive to Aoraki/Mt Cook via Erewhon Station

Day 10 Aoraki/Mt Cook

Day 11 Aoraki/Mt Cook/Drive Queenstown

Day 12 Queenstown Activities, Drop off car

Day 13 Bus and Routeburn Track from R. Shelter, Sleep R. Falls

Day 14 Routeburn Track, Sleep MacKenzie

Day 15 Routeburn Track to Divide, Bus and sleep Milford

Day 16 Milford Boat, Kayaking, Bus to Te Anau

Day 17 Te Anau