We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One way route to have time for trekking

London, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
One way route to have time for trekking

Hi

I am planning a trip to NZ for 3 weeks between 25.10 and 15.11 (plus fights).

I have done a lot of reading and changed my plans few times already to make the most of my time and not to ruin my budget. Can anyone please comment on my thoughts?

I am going with my girlfriend. We would love to do mostly trekking (still some spaces for Milford and Routeburn). However kayaking, visits to caves and all similar activities are equally important. To save time it seems that the best is to fly to Auckland end either catch a fight to Christchurch straight away and start trekkings from there (Have more time for trekkings? 2 weeks Southern and 1 week Northern isch) or do it other way around. And there are some questions. Which way around would be better ? Also would it be better to fly to Queenstown and basically drive along Western coast to skip Christchurch?

As you can probably see it is our first time in NZ so any advise is appreciated.

I know there are other tracks in Tasman area or Volcanos at North. Is it worth going there rather than spend most on famous South?

I am a bit concerned about trekking of Routeburn if there is snow. I have done some winter treks in Austrian Alps. Is it all different?

Thanks a lot

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,085 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: One way route to have time for trekking

Day 9 is not possible, even without the detour to Erewhon. Assuming you stay in Motueka, it is a 10 hour drive to Mt Cook (+ lunch/coffee fuel etc)

Day 15. Are you sure you can get a bus to Milford in the afternoon (after tramping from McKenzie)?

12. Re: One way route to have time for trekking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 05:15