We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

speeding ticket

new york
Level Contributor
166 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
speeding ticket

Ack! I've been back in the US for two months now and I've gotten a speeding ticket through the mail from NZ! Apparently they have cameras set up to click your license plate if you exceed the limit. The kicker is I was going 60km in a 50km zone! Crickeys thats only 5mph over the speed limit! I guess thats another souvenier from NZ. Should I blow this off or pay it??

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,466 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: speeding ticket

Kevin my mother got one in UK after her holiday in NZ. She paid it!

Northland, New...
Level Contributor
700 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: speeding ticket

Yes, like many Western countries, NZ does have speed cameras, and speeding is treated as a serious issue because of the numbers of fatal accidents on the roads here.

You have to consider that 60km/h in a 50 zone is 20% over the speed limit.

I have had a couple of speeding tickets in my time over here, and whilst annoying at the time, they are a fact of life.

All tourists should be aware that speed cameras do exist, often in un-marked vans by the side of the road, so sticking to the speed limits is really important.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: speeding ticket

You should probably pay it; particularly if you intend returning to NZ. Immigration have very long memories, and if you have unpaid fines, at best you will have to pay before you alowed in, and at worst you will be turned back.

NZ has agreements with some countries over collecting fines etc, but I don't know if that includes the US.

new york
Level Contributor
166 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: speeding ticket

Oh well, I'll stop whining and pay the ticker, I'll think of it as a departure tax

Wellington / New...
Level Contributor
113 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: speeding ticket

Keep it in your photo album as a souvenir - albeit a very expensive souvenir..

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,245 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: speeding ticket

From a positive point of view you only have to pay 70% of what a kiwi would have to pay due to currency fluctuations.

Hokianga North...
Level Contributor
191 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: speeding ticket

The best way to avoid tickets for speeding is not to (-:

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,466 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: speeding ticket

I have to admit that I think the Kiwis are a touch sneaky! In UK there are large signs and big yellow boxes so you know where the cameras are- hiding them seems rather devious!

new york
Level Contributor
166 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: speeding ticket

In my own defense; it's pretty easy to do the equivelent of 5 or 6 mph over the speed limit. With the underpowered wheezer type cars they rent to Americans you can do that going downhill. Jeez they should've given me an incentive to keep up with the speed limit.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: speeding ticket

I don't quite understand why here in the UK they tell you where they are, sure you slow down in the spot but stay over the limit everywhere else. You also have to consider that the roads in the UK and the US are generally straighter and much easier to drive thatn those in NZ. New Zealand has a very high road death toll considering its small population, speed cameras have done a lot to decrease drivers average speeds. I remember when I first started driving in NZ 120 was the average in a 100 km zone, when I left 3 years ago to come to the UK the average was 110, after being home from Christmas I see it is more like 105, this can only be a good thing. I guess the answer to the hidden cameras is 'don't speed', period.

Kevin, sure you weren't that much over the limit, but you were breaking the law. Think of the extra damage that would have been done to a little kiddie if you had of hit him/her at 60 rather than 50.

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific