We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent: Advise required on Franz Josef trip

Asia
Level Contributor
69 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Urgent: Advise required on Franz Josef trip

Can anyone let me know if the queenstown-franzjosef travel and heli hike at franz josef can all be done in the same day ?

Are there any tours that do such a trip...

My scheduled has just crashed by a day and would like to fit this into one day, stay overnight at Franz Josef and then leave in the morning to greymouth.

Looking forward to any tips.

Regards,

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent: Advise required on Franz Josef trip

Hi there

You would need at least 5 hrs to drive from Qtown to Franz.,so you would need a very early start to be at the office 1 hr before the 2.30 heli hike.(I think this is the latest.)

We left Qtown just before 9am and arrived in Franz at 3.30.This was with stopping for lunch,coffee and photos as it is an amazingly scenic drive.We did our heli hike the following morning at 9.30 am and it was one of the highlights of our trip.The company we used was the Helicopter Line and our accommodation booked it for us.There are other companies of course.

I t would be a bit nearer to stop at Fox and do the hike there.

You could also do a morning hike and drive on to Greymouth in the afternoon.

Hope this is of some help

Asia
Level Contributor
69 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent: Advise required on Franz Josef trip

Thanks Mummygots,

But i haveonly one day to reach franz joseph and hopefull do the heli hike..Hence, A couple of questions

1. Is intercity the only way yo travel from Qnstn to Franz J ? I was hoping there was a evening bus to Franz. (But newmans and intercity have only one bus in the morning)

2. The 3:00 helihike is not doable if i go by the intercity..I browsed the ent and got this. Has anyone been on this agency called private guides ? How good is this .

…viator.com/brochure/product_show.jsp…

Thanks for all the help..

3. Re: Urgent: Advise required on Franz Josef trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 17:17