We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheaper accommodation

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Cheaper accommodation

Two seniors from Canada with itchy feet wandering around the North Island for 5 weeks Jan/Feb 2018 seeking cheaper accommodation.

17 replies to this topic
Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
127 reviews
1. Re: Cheaper accommodation

Many of the back packer/hostel accommodation offer private rooms, with or without ensuite. They're not just for young ones, you'll find plenty of traveling seniors stay there too! Another thing is to look at air bnb.

I have the booking.com app downloaded on my phone and find that useful and quick to check through and find r options quickly when needing something that night or a night or two ahead.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Cheaper accommodation

Thank you so much for your reply to our post. We will certainly look into your suggestions.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
39,723 posts
443 reviews
3. Re: Cheaper accommodation

AirBnB's private room option will not only get you cheaper accommodation, it will also put you in touch with real Kiwis.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
17,939 posts
130 reviews
4. Re: Cheaper accommodation

I've used the holidayhomes booking site over a number of years with very good result. Never experienced a problem with communication with the owners or with payment. You could look at this option for stays of 2 nights or more - https://www.holidayhouses.co.nz/

Also see if there are spaces available at holiday parks which have cabins either self-contained units or shared communal facilities. You'll find holiday parks all over the North and South Island, often set in stunning locations. January and February are busy months, but you never know your luck. NZ also does wonderful motel accommodation, although expect the nicer ones to be booked already. For an overnight in between longer stays at other places, motels are still a useful option.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Cheaper accommodation

Thank you everyone for your excellent suggestions. What a forum!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
6,954 posts
386 reviews
6. Re: Cheaper accommodation

Does it absolutely have to be Jan/Feb 2018? January is when many New Zealand families travel on their summer holidays. Cabins in camping grounds are likely to heavily booked.

Auckland
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
57 reviews
7. Re: Cheaper accommodation

Seabreeze Holiday park is a great option for exploring the Coromandel peninsula. It's only about 10 minutes from Hot Water Beach there.

Hamilton is not the most exciting destination but the Distinction Hotel used to be very reasonable. It could be a good base for Waitomo Caves, Hobbiton and Raglan.

As others mention this is peak season so if you could come March/April the weather will still be good and it's not so busy.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Cheaper accommodation

Thank you all. Great suggestions. Unfortunately air fares booked and we like to get away from canada and our cool rainy weather in january and february. Looking forward to our trip.

Auckland
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
57 reviews
9. Re: Cheaper accommodation

Make some bookings now then. Popular places will already be booked out but you will get something somewhere! If you post your itinerary we could recommend accommodation where you are visiting.

A bit off the track but when I was young years ago my mum would make a delicious slice called Nainamo Bar. Urban myth said it was named after the place in Canada. It's a biscuit base with a custard filling and chocolate on top. Any idea if this is true?

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
78 reviews
10. Re: Cheaper accommodation

I have actually been to Nainamo and can confirm it is no urban myth, it's for real. Quite similar to our caramel slice, I thought.

Reply to: Cheaper accommodation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted