We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are we on the right track for our April beachcombing tour?

Colorado
Level Contributor
177 posts
249 reviews
Save Topic
Are we on the right track for our April beachcombing tour?

We are thinking we should stay in the Coromandel in Kuaotuni Bay then around Tutukaka to go to Poor Knights and then either Bay of Plenty or way up north around Taipa plus one night on Waiheke Island...

Does this make sense?

I am finding it hard to find reaonably priced recommendations here for Tutukaka area or for Waiheke...and nothing near Taipa...thoughts???

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are we on the right track for our April beachcombing tour?

hi Clairann

I don't know the area enough to offer advice, however for accommodation you will find all accommodation types/budgets here www.newzealand.co./travel/accommodation and for Taipa jasons.com/New-Zealand/Taipa/accommodation/

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are we on the right track for our April beachcombing tour?

oh dear, I often get this link wrong... try www.newzealand.com/travel/accommodation

Colorado
Level Contributor
177 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are we on the right track for our April beachcombing tour?

Thank you Soooo much, this website is fantastic...we had wanted to do a farmstay and this will help us with that...so big thanks to you for helping us.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are we on the right track for our April beachcombing tour?

cheers Clairann

I'm glad you've found it useful. Enjoy your trip :)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,310 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are we on the right track for our April beachcombing tour?

Hi Clairann, you have selected nice places to stay but I feel you'll be doing quite a bit of driving if your visit is short. How long are you here for and how many nights in each place are you hoping for. I can offer more advice once I know more of your plans.

Colorado
Level Contributor
177 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are we on the right track for our April beachcombing tour?

We only have 6 nights ....we want the best seashell collecting along with good scenery of course....

We have been to New Zealand before and seen the Bay of Islands area, but it was some time ago and we realize that it would be best to focus on maybe just two areas, but they all sound so lovely it is hard to choose, so your help would be appreciated.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,310 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are we on the right track for our April beachcombing tour?

Clairann, personally I think you should stick to one area only- either north of Auckland & Waiheke(possibly) or South of Auckland & Waiheke(possibly). I say possibly because taking 1 or 2 nights out of your schedule will curtail a more thorough search of the beaches in the area you select.

The obvious choice would be south as you have been north before. The Coromandel and the Bay of Plenty will offer you dozens of beautiful golden sand beaches(far too many to visit in your short time frame)Travelling up the west coast of the penninsula, cross over, stay, then head down the east side and around the bay- Whangamata, Waihi, Mt Maunganui, Papamoa, Matata, Ohope, Opotiki all first class beaches.

I'm a shell collector from a long time ago(gave all my colletion to a local museum)While you will find shells they are not as prolific as other countries beaches. Obviously you will have more luck after high seas and there are pockets of all shell beaches around NZ. Nth Hawkes Bay has a couple and there is a tiny little shell bay at the base of Mt Maunganui.If you decide to come this way I can let you know exactly where to find it.

Colorado
Level Contributor
177 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are we on the right track for our April beachcombing tour?

WOW, great information...I think you are right and for now bay of plenty and coromandel sound lovely and we will want to know about the beach you mention for sure...Hawkes Bay is too far given the time frame, next trip maybe unless you think it is worth the trip. In the US it might be like asking if it was worthwhile to go to Sanibel Island to shell in which case I would answer FOR SURE YES....so it is all relative I think.

THANKS SO MUCH.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
318 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are we on the right track for our April beachcombing tour?

Hi Clairann,

I agree that you should concentrate on the Coromandel/Bay of Plenty area especially as you have been to the Bay of Islands below. There are some gorgeous beaches and coves in this area.

On the Coromandel I would stay at a least a couple of nights at Hahei which has not only a lovely beach but an excellent coastal walk to Cathedral Cove. There is also a marine sanctuary with boat tours. We have stayed in a cabin at the camping ground there if you are looking for a reasonably priced option (I think they have motels too). I haven't been to Kuaotuni Bay but I have heard it is nice so you could spend a night or two there too.

I live in the Bay of Plenty and we have a beach that is totally shells and would be brilliant for a shell collector. Otarawairere Bay is a 15 minute walk over a headland from Ohope Beach. You can't get to it by road so it is secluded (often you have the beach to yourself) and I am sure you would love it. You can either stay at Ohope Beach (or Whakatane 15 minutes away) or it is 1 1/2 hours from Tauranga/Mount Maunganui.

So, my recommendation would be four nights Coromandel and two nights Bay of Plenty. It is about 2 1/2 hours drive from Tauranga back to Auckland. Don't miss Otarawairere Bay - the best place I have ever seen in New Zealand for shells.

Colorado
Level Contributor
177 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are we on the right track for our April beachcombing tour?

BRILLIANT, I appreciate the detials and will be sure to find Otarawairere (SP?)..thank you ever so much.