We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 days in North Island

london
Level Contributor
17 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
8 days in North Island

Hi

Arriving Wellington and departing Auckland after 9 nights and want to get up as far as Bay of Islands. I was thinking 2 nights in Wellington, 2 in Rotorua, 3 in Paihai and 2 in Auckland. I wish I had more time. Does it seem a good plan?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Wellington
Wellington
Greater Wellington, New Zealand
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 days in North Island

Hi

You have a couple of long drives – Day 3, Wellington to Roturua and more particularly Day 5, Rotorua to Paihia. Rotorua to Paihia is a 7 hour drive i.e all day.

To cut down on some the driving you may wish to consider flying from Wellington to Rotorua or Taupo at the end of day 2. This would give you an extra day to do the trip north. There a plenty of places around Auckland where you could break your journe y for example the Waitakere Ranges to the west of Auckland, the Kumeu area to the north west or Puhoi, Orewa or Waiwera to the north (on the direct route north from Auckland)

Based on this your itinerary would look something like:

Day 1

Overnight Wellington

Day 2

Wellington and Wellington to Rotorua or Taupo

Overnight Taupo or Rotorua

Day 3

Taupo/Rotorua

Overnight Taupo Rotorua

Day 4

Rotorua

Rotorua to somewhere around Auckland

Overnight somewhere around Auckland

Day 5

Auckland to Paihia

Overnight Paihia

Day 6

BOI

Overnight Paihia

Day 7

BOI

Overnight Paihia

Day 8

Paihia to Auckland

Overnight Auckland

Day 9

Auckland

Overnight Auckland

Day 10

Fly out

You may wish to consider taking an extra day for the trip north of Auckland and go via the Waipoua Forest and Hokianga and return down SH1 (Twin Coast Route)

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Wellington
Wellington
Auckland
Auckland
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 days in North Island

Hi Travelmaster

Depending on what time you are arriving in Wellington and how long you will have been travelling maybe one night in Wellington. If it is was me I would one night in Taupo, one night in Rotorua, they are very close but very different.This gives you a day to visit what both have to offer.

I would not attempt Rotorua to Paihia in one day. There is just too much to see. As Lone Kauri says stop off just north of Auckland, Kumeu, Waitakere, or Muriwai and then travel to the Bay of Islands on State Highway 16 via our spectacular west coast. Allowing a day to do this you will be able to visit Matakohe Kauri Museum and view the kauri forests arriving in Paihia late afternoon.

Then return south via the east coast.

Also once again depending on time of departure from Auckland you may be able to sightsee before going to the airport.

Kay

Calico Lodge

Mentioned in this post
Wellington
Wellington
Auckland
Auckland
london
Level Contributor
17 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 days in North Island

Hi

Thank you both for your suggestions. I can get to Wellington early in the afternoon, so perhaps 1 night there would be OK and I could use the night saved for a stop on the way to Paihai. My flight leaves Auckland early morning so I can't save a night there really.

Again, thanks for your comments

Mentioned in this post
Wellington
Wellington
Auckland
Auckland
4. Re: 8 days in North Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 11:19