We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whakapapa Village out of ski season

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Whakapapa Village out of ski season

I'm travelling from the uk with my husband and 3 kids, 5, 3, and <1. We have a campervan for 7 days end Feb/early March, and was thinking, Auckland, Waitomo, Tongariro National Park, Rotorua, Waihi Beach, Coromandel (somewhere) then home. I was hoping someone could advise if the ski area is worth visiting without snow? are the lifts still running to help you up the mountain? Is it buggy friendly or should I take a back carrier?

Suggestions and recommendations to park the camper greatly appreciated.

Sandypop

Waitakere Ranges
National Parks, Scenic Drives
Waiotapu Boardwalk\/ Mud Pool
National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Hot Springs & Geysers
Coromandel Forest Park
National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,633 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whakapapa Village out of ski season

Hi Sandypop, welcome to the Kiwi forum :)

I haven't been to Whakapapa Village so have no first-hand knowledge. However down here in the south the ski fields' access roads and lifts are closed in the off-season.

There is still hiking available at the village …govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

This site is great for holiday parks newzealand.com/travel/…holiday-parks.cfm

or you may prefer the more adventurous DOC sites …govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

hope this helps :)

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whakapapa Village out of ski season

Hi Sandypop,

The chair lifts should be operating all summer as they do in the winter. I would suggest a back carrier as it is volcanic and there are not alot of walkways. In saying that it is some years since I was there so things may and changed and someone else may be able to answer your query. There are lots of lovely walks around the Chateau Tongariro Hotel and many would be suitable for a buggy, Check out the weather when you arrive as this is one place in New Zealand where you can have four season in a morning.

Visiting Coromandel I do hope you have time to go to Coromandel township and ride the Driving Creek Railway. I am sure that the children would love it. Also check the tides and see if you can manage the low tide at Hot water Beach for the children to experience a hot bath in the sand.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
324 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whakapapa Village out of ski season

Hi Sandypop,

There are some really interesting walks there that are worth doing whatever the season. There are some shorter options - Silica Rapids is one of my favourites although it might be a little long to do all of it with the little ones depending on how used to walking they are. Check out the Department of Conservation website that the first poster mentioned for more info. I would recommend a backpack, you will find this useful on most NZ walks because many aren't 'buggy friendly'.

There is a nice campground at the base of Mount Ruapehu at Whakapapa Village and it would make a good base. The website is www.whakapapa.net.nz

The chairlift does offer scenic rides up the mountain all summer (weather permitting) and although most snow is usually melted you may spot a bit. Check out www.mtruapehu.com for details.

You are going at a lovely time of year so the weather should be good but you are visiting a mountain environment so this can't be guaranteed. Make sure that you are prepared with some warmer layers especially if you go walking and if the weather turns really horrible there are some hot pools at Tokaanu (near Turangi) about 1/2 hour away on way to Taupo.

Have a great holiday

4. Re: Whakapapa Village out of ski season

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 08:19
Get answers to your questions about North Island