We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auckland/Coromandel advice....

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
291 reviews
Save Topic
Auckland/Coromandel advice....

Hello everyone,

We are a couple of Brits who have moved to Vermont 3 years ago, and created a locally unique inn, after many hours and years of travelling and staying in hospitality options all over the globe. We are thinking of moving our B & B talents to NZ in a few years time and wonder if anyone locally has any ideas if this is realistic?? We have visited NZ and are visiting again in March, touring Auckland and the Coromandel (both to be considered for business) and wanted to ask any local North Island Experts if they feel that tourism is holding up in the current recession?

Our aim is to continue running an ecologically friendly upmarket indulgent lodge (of which NZ seems to have many) and get away from cold Vermont as we get older.

I am looking for general travel advice rather than direct business ideas (as I know this forum is not designed for self publicity) and think that informed locals with passion are the best folks to ask.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,280 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auckland/Coromandel advice....

Coromandel in the off season may be a struggle. Consider Nth Auckland- Warkworth, Wellsford area and Hawkes Bay.

No doubt you will have done your homework, it took Scottish friends 4 years to get through the red tape to even begin to establish their upmarket lodge. And another 3 years running it before they knew if they could stay or not.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auckland/Coromandel advice....

Thanks Zappers,

We had a similar but not quite as long fiasco getting into the USA.......

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Auckland/Coromandel advice....

Hi

Recent announcements have indicated that there was a 1% drop in inbound tourists in December 08. This is not altogether surprising and most people will have booked their trips before the world’s financial problems became an issue. It will be next year when the full impact will become apparent and I would have thought a trend would start to appear in the next 2 to 3 months when people will again be making their plans.

Also this last week it was announced that New Zealanders are not travelling within the country as much as previously.

New Zealand remains a wonderful destination and I have yet to meet someone who would not want to come back.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Auckland/Coromandel advice....

I am interested in reading about recession effects!I have been planning my trip since June 2008 which was supposed to be in October then November then December then January now finally March/April.I have booked my ticket and my accommodation so no turning back now!I met a few people who have either postponed(like me) or canceled their trips due to recession.

Cheers

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Auckland/Coromandel advice....

Another angle on people cutting back their travel because of the global financial crisis is that it may result in more Australians coming to NZ. This probably won't be sufficient to off-set the general reduction in travel, but for some of us, NZ has been in the "it will always be there" category, so we have tended to travel to Europe and North America. However, in our case, this year we're going to travel to closer destinations, the ones that we've flown over to go further, and NZ is on the list (we'll be there in a few weeks time), as well as some interstate destinations.

-- G

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Auckland/Coromandel advice....

Gat 16,

Thank you for your perspective. We're in your fair city seeing friends in a month...so we hope the heat has chilled a little!

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Auckland/Coromandel advice....

I realise that the state of Australian travel to NZ is only indirectly related to the original query, so at the rsik of being told that I'm off-topic - I was fascinated to see reference in the press to the possibility of a "common border" between Australia and NZ. This would apparently mean that trans-Tasman flights would be "domestic" - no A$47 departure tax in Austrlia, much shorter check-in times, lots more departure points (may even revive Hobart?). Sounds good to me, I could live without the duty free! See 2nd part of this article:

…news.com.au/business/…00.html

-- G

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Auckland/Coromandel advice....

Gat 16....very interesting....but cannot see the Kiwis going for this....but hey what do I know. Has your city cooled down yet cos we've got lots of FREEZING cold snow up here....

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,280 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Auckland/Coromandel advice....

I would most DEFINITELY not be interested in having a domestic border as much as we love you Aussies ;)

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Auckland/Coromandel advice....

Hi David

Your original question has been lost.

Do you want to post it again????

Check out Tourism New Zealand or TIANZ for tourism figures, they are very interesting and everyone reads something into even the official figures.

We understood that the figures for December were way up, but we have not seen any of these extra visitors. We think that they are English or Australians who are visiting friends and family and therefore not good for the paying accommodation.

The Eco "thing" is also another topic as many claiming to be are not, but are just buying the status.