We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Island Holiday

brisbane
Level Contributor
183 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
North Island Holiday

I am starting to sketch out an itinerary for our North Island driving holiday and would appreciate any comments. Our timeline is pretty flexible and I prefer to base myself in locations for several days at a time to explore the regions staying in self contained apartment style accommodation. So far I have come up with

Auckland 2 nights

Bay of Islands 3 nights

The Coromandel 2 nights

Taupo 2 nights

Napier

Wellington 2 nights

Tongariro

Waitomo Caves

Auckland

I am happy with the first few days of my plan but not so confident with the latter part as I seem to be missing out on seeing the eastern side of the island. Help please !!!

brisbane
Level Contributor
183 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Island Holiday

Sorry everybody - I should have said that we will be missing out on seeing the West Coast. I'm from Australia - what more can I say !

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Island Holiday

Hi Rabbit

We excuse you coming from Australia, you are most welcome to visit our country, just do not bring any rabits.

Re the West coast, travel north to the Bay of Islands via the west coast and then south via the east coast so then you see this part of our west coast.

To Coromandel, the same , north on the west coast and south on the east.

Depending on time you could travel from Wellington to New Plymouth on the East coast and then to Tongariro.

What time of the year are you coming??? Do you intend to do the Tongariro crossing???

I do hope that you have lots of time.

Remember that self contained apartment style accommodation is not at all like in parts of Australia.

Kay

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Island Holiday

Hi

There are other options which would take in the East Coast but it would all depend on how much time you have in total? Could you let us know.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Island Holiday

Hi Rabbit

Now I have made a mistake, you could travel from Wellington to New Plymouth via the WEST coast.

Sorry about that. Lone Kauri Lodge has misread you second entry on the forum. So now it is all very confusing.

Kay

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Island Holiday

Hi

Kay is correct! It would seem that both Calico Lodge and myself have a fixation with the east coast.

West coast it is but the same question - how much time overall do you have to visit the north island

brisbane
Level Contributor
183 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Island Holiday

I've really confused everybody now haven't I? I apologise. In answer to your questions - I would rather decide how long to spend on the North Island based on what I should see, but I guess roughly 2 - 4 weeks. As for the time of year, well, anytime next year. Can you suggest the best time? Preferably not peak time or school holidays. As I said I am in the early stages of planning and after our near perfect holiday on the South Island last year (thanks in no small part to all of the Trip Advisor members)we have high expectations that this holigday will be just as good.

Orewa, New Zealand
Level Contributor
330 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Island Holiday

By far the best time to come is summer, however school holidays are from approx mid December until about 7th Feb. The busiest time is from Christmas through to mid January when most of the country is on holiday. If you come at this time of the year you need to book everything well in advance. In my opinion the best months are February and March when the weather is usually settled and the schools have gone back. April can also still be quite nice. You can see most of the main attractions in the North Island in 2 weeks but if you had 3 or 4 weeks you could really have an enjoyable relaxing time and see alot so that would be preferable. One accomodation option if you like to base yourself in an area and explore from there is to rent someone elses holiday home. We do this alot and have stayed in some fantastic places for much less than you would pay for hotels. The three websites I have used to book these are www.holidayhomes.co.nz, www.holidayhouses.co.nz and www.bookabach.co.nz.

Hope that helps.

brisbane
Level Contributor
183 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North Island Holiday

Hi everybody and thanks for your help so far. Just a few more questions (groan from all!!). I have now decided to come over in March 2010 and stay around three weeks. I am wodering if I should extend my time spent in Taupo to say, four nights, and take day trips to both Tongariro and Rotorua. That way on my return north to Auckland from Wellington I can hug the western coastline and perhaps see the Taranaki area and Waitomo Caves. If this is a valid option where should I break my trip between Wellington and Auckland and how many days should I take?

taupo
Level Contributor
720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North Island Holiday

Staying in Taupo for a few days is a good option. You can do many day trips from this central location.

A lot of people do it this way so they are not having to pack and unpack each day. Napier, Rotorua,

Tongariro National Park are all within a reasonable drive.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North Island Holiday

Here's my two pennies worth with 20 nights- I would head straight out of Auckland north, have the time there at the end before you fly home, also if you run short of a day or two use the Auckland ones ;) I would also definitely stop in Rotorua, this is the tourist heart of the Nth Island, there is plenty to see and do and saves you back tracking from Taupo.

Bay of Islands 3 nights

Nth Auckland- Matakana area 1 night(too long a drive to get to the Coromandel in one day)

The Coromandel 2 nights

Rotorua 2 nights

Taupo 3 nights- include Tongariro here

Napier 2 nights

Wellington 2 nights

New Plymouth area 2 nights

Waitomo Caves 1 night

Auckland 2 nights