We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Difficulty making a decision!

New England
5 posts
Save Topic
Difficulty making a decision!

We are coming into Auckland Nov 5 and flying out at 11pm Nov 12. The first two days will be in Auckland, but then we want to get out and explore. That is where I am struggling! We like to be outside, explore, hike, kayak and relax. We are not super interested in "touristy" areas. That said, the following is what has peaked my interest, Beaches west of Auckland, Bay of Islands, Coromandel, White Island and the Tongariro Crossing. I have a particular interest in the crossing, but also realize that the chance of it not occurring is also high due to weather conditions at the time. Knowing that I can't go north and south in our given time, what are the pros and cons of BOI and Coromandel in particular? I really appreciate input and if there is something that I havent listed but is highly recommended, I would be thrilled to hear about it. Thanks so much.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Difficulty making a decision!

Hi

From a purely logistical point of view the Coromandel may be the place to go. It is "within range" oe White Island and the Tongariro Crossing if, as w hope will the case you hit a spell of fine weather i.e you would be keeping your options open.

Having said that I would go for the Bay of Islands over the Coromandel everytime. Both areas are beautiful but in my view Northland and the Bay of Islands have more to offer - greater diversity, history, culture and a very relaxed approach to life.

The beaches to the west of Auckland, flanked by the Waitakere Ranges are very natural, wild and dramatic.and not touristy. Karekare Beach for example has no commercial activity and nearby Piha has very little - a shop and three places where you can get good reasonably priced meals. In the Ranges you will find regerating forest, stunning views, waterfalls and some 250 kms of walking tracks - under an hour from Auc kland but a very different world.

Enjoy your visit

Kawhia,New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Difficulty making a decision!

Your time is only short.

Tongariro Crossing is very weather dependent and you need to be fit.

My friend did it on a wet /bad day and she is fit.

She found it arduous- also have family who have found the same- if the weather cuts up rough it can be really tough going.

7 days is really short and not really long enough to explore more than 1 region and still have a relaxing time.

I would stick around Coromandel, Bay of Plenty and Taupo region to give you plenty of variety- you would need at least 3 nights in Coromandel region

3. Re: Difficulty making a decision!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2010, 06:17