We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

north island hangi

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
274 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
north island hangi

we are travelling around the north island in feb 2010 with 2 kids. just wondering where the best place is to experience a traditional hangi. interested in an authentic experience rather than a sensationalised touristy production...any ideas

Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
13,469 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: north island hangi

We didn't book ahead, just went in to Rotorua tourist office on arrival and booked one of what remained. It was very good, mostly young people involved. Everyone had a good time, but can't really tell you how authentic it was - it certainly seemed it and the meal was greatly enjoyed.

However, if we were doing it all again, I'd book ahead for one at the cultural centre. We thought everything there was great, and loved watching people carving.

GG

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
274 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: north island hangi

thanks for your quick reply. can you give me an idea of how much you paid for it?

thanks Michelle

Maple Valley...
Level Contributor
11 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: north island hangi

Just returned from the North Island and went to the Waikiri Terraces Cultural Experience, near Lake Taupo. While not as "big show" as some of the other ones near Rotorua, this was pretty highly recommended by locals, so we gave it a shot and found it to be wonderful. Owned and operated by a group of friends (instead of a corporation), it's a small operation, led by a Maori TV host Te Ori Paki and many of his family. They keep it intimate, allowing only 30-45 people for each experience-- and it's only on Wednesday nights. The songs, dancing, storytelling, were great-- and the Hangi was wonderful.

Call to make reservations or get them via the I-Site tourism offices.

Maple Valley...
Level Contributor
11 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: north island hangi

Just returned from the North Island and went to the Waikiri Terraces Cultural Experience, near Lake Taupo. While not as "big show" as some of the other ones near Rotorua, this was pretty highly recommended by locals, so we gave it a shot and found it to be wonderful. Owned and operated by a group of friends (instead of a corporation), it's a small operation, led by a Maori TV host Te Ori Paki and many of his family. They keep it intimate, allowing only 30-45 people for each experience-- and it's only on Wednesday nights. The songs, dancing, storytelling, were great-- and the Hangi was wonderful.

Call to make reservations or get them via the I-Site tourism offices.

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: north island hangi

The only way to experience a hangi and culture evening is to join with other tourists and enjoy the meal, singing, dancing and explanation of traditional way of life. Unfortunately it would be impractical to do 'private shows' without other tourists being present.

The most authentic shows in Rotorua are Mitai, Tamaki & Te Po. There are others held in hotels in the area but to be out in the bush, watch the warriors row a waka (canoe) down the stream (Mitai) and do the traditional warrior 'haka' in natural surroundings, is as authentic as you will get despite the fact there may be a crowd of other tourists watching the performance.

You are picked up from your accommodation and returned when the evening is over. The meal and show last approx 3 hours.

Hope this helps.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
274 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: north island hangi

hi JohnHMapleValley, the lake taupo experience sounds like what we are looking for. any ideas how much you paid for it because coincidentally we will be in the lake taupo region on a wednesday. i googled it but nothing came up. has any1 got any idea how to contact them.

also valgee I did not expect an exclusive hangi merely something a bit closer to reality.

NZ
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: north island hangi

Ka ora

All hangi put on for tourists are just that: put on for tourists.

'Authentic' hangi happen frequently at local community functions and are not open to the general public unless for fundraising.

Schools often put down a hangi for gala days.

Auckland
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: north island hangi

I think there may have been a bit of an accidental typo - its at Wairakei Terraces - and its brilliant. Have a look at: http://www.wairakeiterraces.co.nz/prices.htm

Cheers

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
274 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: north island hangi

thank u every1 who replied. Ive checked out the website and will be booking with them. really looking foward to i.

cheers Michelle

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
274 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: north island hangi

thank u every1 who replied. Ive checked out the website and will be booking with them. really looking foward to i.

cheers Michelle