We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Back in Godzone

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Back in Godzone

Hi all,

due to some extra sleeping in on hubby's part, I've been able to complete part 1 of my blog on our first day back in New Zealand.

This episode covers arrival and some wandering about in Auckland and Devonport.

It's great to be back in Godzone once more. At the moment we're in Paihia.. Cape Reinga with Salt Air tomorrow :o)

As we're travelling I can't guarantee when I'll be able to post the next installments.. internet access is a little sketchy at different places.

... as a summary...let me just say that the food has been fantastic! ... especially Clooney. Perfect for Valentines Day, nice and cosy and intimate. Being booths you can snuggle up next to eachother between courses. Great Restaurant. We loved it!!.... but for the details you need to wait for the next installment!

…blogspot.com/2010/02/pt-1-nz-arrival-and-au…

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
942 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Back in Godzone

I love it when hubby sleeps in so that I can write! Another great report begins. I can't wait for the next segment.

I agree that Auckland is NOT just another city. Glad that someone finally agrees with me. It's fun to spend time in cities as well as the beautiful countryside when you travel.

Hope the rest of the trip is fantastic for you two. Write when he sleeps in next!

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
942 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Back in Godzone

I love it when hubby sleeps in so that I can write! Another great report begins. I can't wait for the next segment.

I agree that Auckland is NOT just another city. Glad that someone finally agrees with me. It's fun to spend time in cities as well as the beautiful countryside when you travel.

Hope the rest of the trip is fantastic for you two. Write when he sleeps in next!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,769 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Back in Godzone

you can say that again!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,374 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Back in Godzone

Welcome back Snodge or should I say welcome home! ;) I'm sure you must have been a Kiwi in a previous life especially now that you have admitted our pavs are the best!.........you know that's because we invented them :)

I'm glad you caught "Land of the Long White Cloud”, it's classic isn't it. Made me smile the whole way through. And as you have no birds for me to identify I'll correct you on the fish! You did get it right in the hyper-link but then went on to call it a schnapper, it's snapper and darn tasty too!

Glad you enjoyed Auckland, there are lots of little nooks and crannies to explore but like anywhere you have to have the time otherwise it can appear to be "just another city".

Looking forward to reading plenty more.

Edited: 19 February 2010, 07:21
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,212 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Back in Godzone

LOL snodge

DH= viaduct yep sure is...

wait with baited breath for paihia

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Back in Godzone

Thanks all :o)

..and thanks zappers for the correction on the snapper, I've fixed those typos ... I blame Schnappa Rock Restaurant! (agh but I know there's an "of"' that should be "off"... but I go in to fix it and can't see it... grrr) ...also I'll have a bird for you to identify in Paihia... I think it's a juvenile black backed gull, but not at all sure and I forgot to get the bird guide off mum to bring it along...

..hubby thinks Auckland is a lot like melbourne... now remember we'd had bugger all sleep, but as we wandered about he kept thinking.. now don't we go down there for such and such, then pinching himself and realising...ah, yeah, this is Auckland....LOL so yeah, a cross between Sydney and Melbourne would be the closest comparison we could make...

... now I have to say, I'm a sickenly patriotic Aussie, but if I was going to be anything else, I can say in all sincerity It most definitely would be a kiwi...and anyway as a patriotic Aussie I feel completely entitled to indulge in a deep and sincere love of kiwis and all things kiwi.... the Anzac thing and all that you know :o)

.... on the pav front we mustn't count our chickens... there will be more to be said (by the kiwi authority on the subject) in later installments... LOL the things you come across when you are on holidays! LOL ..LOL and PS... LOL maybe the chef at Soul is an Australian... hehehe the chef at Sezn is from Melbourne so you never know LOL hehehehe....nah, just kidding.... we'll assume the chef at Soul is a kiwi. Credit where credit is due LOL....

... I will say though, Australia has copied some of our best ideas from you kiwis...eg the ground breaking approach to industrial relations and the living wage.. introduced here in the early days of federation.. that was copied from you kiwis... votes for women.. you beat us at that too... you're a pretty awesome bunch there's no denying it.

Well, I am running hopelessly late on my journal for today. I think writing up Cape Reinga is going to take a while... and we got back late from Russell for dinner tonight... another fantastic meal this time at the Duke of Marlborough Hotel. ...and Russell is absolutely gorgeous and romantic .. very special... but I do have one complaint.... you know I have to go to my daughter's wedding when we get back... I've got to fit into the dress I've bought for it... but the food is sooo good here...aagghh!

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Back in Godzone

Ok we're leaving internet heaven now... off to Opononi then to the Kauri Coast into the unknown in terms of connectivity.... I have to say it's a glorious day here in Paihia... the bay may have decided to show us what she looks like in her party dress... fingers crossed.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,374 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - Back in Godzone

The North Island is known for it's glorious days and you've arrived right on schedule......a glorious high is expected for a number of days! Have fun over the other side, you'll be surprised where you can connect too ;)

Edited: 19 February 2010, 21:52
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
13,959 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - Back in Godzone

It was New Zealand who invited the pavlova - another country stole the recipe and laid calim to fame. But we Kiwis got over it, and just improved on our culinary techniques.

Schnapper is snapper - no worries. Both words are interchangable, and acceptable. Hope the trip to the Cape turned out to be a fine day, with good views. Looking forward to your continuing narrative, and more fishy stories for good measure.

Cheers.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - Back in Godzone

Back again!

have had a great time at the cape and exploring down western northland..

Pt 2 - which covers Tiri Tiri Matangi and dinner at Clooney is now published.. Next day is almost done, but lets face it, Tiri was always going to be a long post, so no room for more in that postfs LOL

…blogspot.com/2010/02/pt-2-tiri-tiri-matangi…