We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a Trackmate for Tongariro Track

Neuchatel...
2 posts
Save Topic
Looking for a Trackmate for Tongariro Track

Hello,

I'll be around Tongari & Taupo in 1 Week and for about 2 Weeks.

I'll walk the Tongariro and i'm looking for someone who wanna do that with me.

I'm a male & i'm 21.

Thanks

Valentin

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a Trackmate for Tongariro Track

Do you mean the Tongariro crossing? You know it's an alpine crossing and it's the middle of winter? You'll need to go with a guide. They'll keep you company and safe. Seriously, don't underestimate the track. People have died attempting it.

Neuchatel...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a Trackmate for Tongariro Track

Yep i mean this one...

It's not my first alpine crossing, and i wanna wait for a sunny beautiful day :-)

If i don't find a good day, I'll ask for a guide.

I don't wanna died and i'm aware to the dangers.

Thank's for your warning because i didn't know i'll need a guide at this time.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,363 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a Trackmate for Tongariro Track

Welcome to the forum V :)

Being an island nation, the weather in NZ can change dramatically in a very short space of time. A snow storm can blow in from Antarctica with no warning even on a sunny day.

Please go with a guide, no matter how wonderful the weather. This website lists the minimum requirements for the trip

www.tongarirocrossing.org.nz/index.php…

Experienced alpine mountaineers have encountered trouble on the track.

Please stay safe :)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,369 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a Trackmate for Tongariro Track

It will just about be impossible to do the Crossing at this time of the year, there has been heavy snow in the Central Plateau area and the tracks will be totally covered. I doubt very much whether you'll find a guide that will be willing to take you. This is an dangerous crossing even when it's the best of weather let alone in the middle of winter. I had a friend that lost his life on the Crossing during early autumn a few years ago and he was a very experienced alpine tramper, one wrong move is all it takes. You really need to do your research before tackling the track and please, if you do do it by yourself, leave clear information with the park rangers and at your accommodation of what you are doing and when you'll be expected back.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a Trackmate for Tongariro Track

At the very least, go to a Department of Conservation office (DOC) and ask for some advice. They will be aware of the conditions and should be able to suggest some guides for you if the conditions are suitable. They will also be able to suggest some alternatives. They will be more than happy to help out.

There are DOC offices at Taupo, Turangi and at Whakapapa village.

This link to DOC's website has some information on the track, current conditions (heavy snow!) and recommendations for those wishing to undertake a winter crossing (that is, you should have moutaineering experience and equipment).

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

Sorry this is all doom and gloom. But unfortunately we lose too many visitors in our bush and mountains. Better to warn you now :)

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a Trackmate for Tongariro Track

THis couch potato thinks anyone who does the Crossing in summer is nuts. Anyone who does it in winter needs certifying.

I wish you luck.

7. Re: Looking for a Trackmate for Tongariro Track

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2011, 06:17