We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Tree Hill, Mount Eden, and/or Rangitoto Questions

Boston...
1 post
Save Topic
One Tree Hill, Mount Eden, and/or Rangitoto Questions

I really enjoy hiking but am not sure if I'm going to have the time to climb all 3 of these dormant volcanoes while in Auckland.

Which one(s) do you think are the best or a "must see"?

How long does it take to climb/hike to the top of each of these summits (or a round trip estimate)?

Do they have easily accessible driving routes to the top? (but would much rather climb if doable)

Thanks!!

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
108 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Tree Hill, Mount Eden, and/or Rangitoto Questions

You can easily walk or drive to the top of One Tree Hill and Mt Eden. Time - I'm not sure but an hour maximum I would think. You certainly get great views of the city from both places.

Rangitoto is fantastic. It's best to take a day trip. You leave by ferry from the bottom of Queen Street and the ferry drops you onto the island so you'll have a wonderful trip on the harbour. Do take all you need though (food and water) as there are no shops on the island and no residents! You can take a train to the top or walk. It's a bit of a hike up the top and I really can't remember how long it took to walk up there. The view of Auckland and the bays is stunning. But one of the best parts is walking on an ancient volcano which is like a moonscape - at least thats what I imagine! Wear good shoes.

If you like birdlife and walking you might want to consider Tiritiri Matangi - its another day trip.

Edited: 03 August 2010, 01:54
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,017 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Tree Hill, Mount Eden, and/or Rangitoto Questions

Things must have changed quite a bit since I was last on Rangitoto Island. I dont remember ever seeing a train on the volcano. One Tree Hill and Mt Eden are not hikes in the true sense of the word. They easily accessed up a sealed road and cars can get to the top of both. Rangitoto is a hike to the top especially on a hot day so take some water with you. The views from all three are great. If you want a hike go to Rangitoto. You can can catch a ferry from the bottom of town.

If you want unsurpassed views of the city go to the top of the skytower.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Tree Hill, Mount Eden, and/or Rangitoto Questions

How long are you in Auckland??? and what time of the year???

In the morning I would get the ferry to Rangitoto and either climb to the top or catch the train and in the afternoon if you have a car you can drive to the summits of both Mt Eden and One Tree Hill and then head to the Sky Tower for dinner,

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,017 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Tree Hill, Mount Eden, and/or Rangitoto Questions

Only in Auckland would they call a tractor and trailer a train LOL.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Tree Hill, Mount Eden, and/or Rangitoto Questions

Hi

It would take no more than an hour to walk to the top of Mt Eden or One Tree Hill. However if you just wanted to get to the top for the view you may wish to drive. For the walking however I would definitely recommend Rangitoto - it is quite a unique experience.

6. Re: One Tree Hill, Mount Eden, and/or Rangitoto Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2011, 06:18