We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from Paihia to Bay of Plenty

BRUSSELS
Level Contributor
45 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
from Paihia to Bay of Plenty

if we leave in the morning in Paihia ,can we get as far as bay of plenty the same day? if not , were would you suggest to stop ??

TU

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
12,886 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: from Paihia to Bay of Plenty

Hi TU,

The day will be long, but the drive is do'able. Allow yourselves plenty of opportunity for rest stops. Driver fatigue is a big risk when driving NZ roads. It takes approx 3.5 hours from Paihia to Auckland CBD. Between Paihia and the start of the Northern Gateway motorway (south of Warkworth) there are several small towns and Whangarei city for refreshments and chance to stretch yor legs.

At the end of the Southern Motorway through Auckland itself, I suggest you stop at he services in the Bombay Hills and there are numerous small towns and picnic areas through the Waikato for rest stops. Are you heading for Rotorua, Tauranga/Mount or where in BOP? If you aren't keen on continuing through Auckland and beyond on the same day, anywhere around the Hibiscus Coast is delightful - Waiwera, Orewa, Red Beach, Whangaparoa peninsula. Sets you up nicely for the motowarway through Auckland next day

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,251 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: from Paihia to Bay of Plenty

From Auckland CBD it is another 2.5hrs to Tauranga. It can be done but you'll need most of the day, take your time to enjoy the countryside and small towns on the way.

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
82 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: from Paihia to Bay of Plenty

6 weeks ago I did Paihia to Rotorua in just under 6 hours driving time. There seems to be continual roadworks north of Auckland so allow for them. Also if it is raining, slow down! I stopped off for lunch for half an hour which needs to be added on to the time. I also know the roads and junctions. Allow more time for the occasional "detour" although NZ's roads generally are well signposted. However, I would suggest you allow much more time to enjoy our fabulous scenery.

4. Re: from Paihia to Bay of Plenty

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2011, 06:18