We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wellington and back again - 3 days

Carnation...
2 posts
Save Topic
Wellington and back again - 3 days

I will be in Auckland on business alone at the end of January and will have January 28-31 free. My plans are to fly from AKL to WLG on Friday afternoon, and then head up back up to Auckland via rental car.

I have read numerous posts and think I have a fair idea of what I should do/see, but thought I would post my itinerary for commentary. Please note, I am an early riser and I don't plan on anything more extreme than hiking and taking in the natural and cultural experiences NZ has to offer.

~Friday - Fly AKL to WLG. Spend afternoon and evening walking around the city.

~Saturday - Rent car and head to Taupo. Stops along the way. Stay in Taupo

~Sunday - Explore the area, take in sites, etc. Stay in Taupo

~Monday - Head to Rotorua, explore (glow worms?) and then back to Auckland.

I have spent 3 days in Auckland before and been out to the islands and this is my last chance to see something of this country. Any thoughts/ideas are appreciated.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,408 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wellington and back again - 3 days

Your plan looks fine, two things to consider though; I would spend Sunday night in Rotorua, there is a lot to see and do in the city which you won't manage in just a few short hours. Then you can do Waitomo Caves on the way to Auckland the next day.

The 2nd thing you may not know is that Mon 31st is a public holiday(Auckland Anniversary Day) for all the provinces north of Taupo. The roads will be very busy leading into Auckland late on Monday as holiday makers head home after the long weekend and also for some the end of their annual holidays. Don't leave your run too late otherwise you'll find yourself in a traffic jam.There will be a lot more people(nothing too major though) in Taupo & Rotorua, at Waitomo Caves and on the roads generally due to the holiday weekend.

Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1 post
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wellington and back again - 3 days

I'd head to Napier via Masterton early on the Saturday morning, arriving about lunchtime, enjoy the afternoon checking out the Art Deco buildings, wineries and relaxing by the sea and spending the night there.

Sunday I'd head to Taupo (briefly) and Rotorua spending the night in Rotorua and maybe taking in a Maori culture experience and Hangi in the evening. You will also probably enjoy the Skyline and Luge (although it is not cheap!)

Monday I'd head to Auckland via Waitomo caves but, as already mentioned, I'd head off early to avoid the crowds.

Carnation...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wellington and back again - 3 days

Interesting, so you are suggesting Napier rather than an overnight in Taupo? From a tourist standpoint it seems as though Taupo has more to offer...what in Napier other than art deco buildings are a draw?

Orewa, New Zealand
Level Contributor
330 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wellington and back again - 3 days

With only 3 days I would not bother with the longer trip to take in Napier. Napier has wineries etc but you need time to relax and enjoy that sort of thing.

For you it would be more scenic to travel up the middle of the island and spend some time at Tongariro National Park on the way. The park has three spectacular volcanoes and many lovely short walks to enjoy the natural beauty. Head to Whakapapa village which has a wonderful information centre for maps etc.

From Tongariro it is about an hour or so drive to Taupo which is a lovely place to stay the night.

Like the other posters I would also move on to Rotorua the next day and do Waitomo on the way back to Auckland.

Palmerston North
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Wellington and back again - 3 days

If you'd like to venture off SH1 for a while whilst on route to Taupo, consider exploring The Country Road - tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255104-c146040/New-Z… If you pick up the brochure in advance, you can decide what might be of interest and go directly there.

Happy planning!

6. Re: Wellington and back again - 3 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2011, 05:16