We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling between Miranda and Reporoa

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling between Miranda and Reporoa

Hi All

Driving down from Omapere we'll be staying the night in Miranda before heading to our friends in Reporoa.

Is it realistic to be able to do a walk in the Karangahake Gorge and also visit Mt.Maunganui and arrive at our friends by late afternoon/early evening?

Not sure about driving times in this area and how long would be needed for the stops.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling between Miranda and Reporoa

Hi

The short answer to your question is “Yes, it is realistic”. It is about 230kms from Miranda to Rotorua which is some 3 hours driving time – not allowing for stops.

Karangahake Gorge or K Gorge as it is know locally is well worth a stop and a walk for which you would probably need to allow a minimum of 2 hours. There is a nice café “The Talisman” at the bottom end of the Gorge just opposite the parking area

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling between Miranda and Reporoa

Sorry

I having one of my early morning senior moments - it is about 270 kms to Reparoa (not Rotorua). However still quite doable.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,310 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling between Miranda and Reporoa

Heaps of time Val- 253kms to be exact Lonekauri ;). You'll already know to have a torch with you to walk through the old tunnel where you can find glow worms towards the centre. When are you coming? It's been a month or so since I've been through the gorge but they have had some of the walkway(including the tunnel) closed off for quite some time upgrading parts of it. I'll find out for you if or when it will be open again. You should also allow 15 minutes or so to have a look at the huge open cast mine that is right in the centre of Waihi town. Soemthing you would least expect to find on a suburban street!

And maybe we can have that coffee we missed last time you were in NZ....at the Mount of course! :)

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling between Miranda and Reporoa

Thanks to you both LoneKauri and Zappers.

We're not coming out until December--arriving on the 14th, then straight up to Hokianga for four nights before heading south to stay with our Reporoa friends for three nights with the Miranda stop on the way.

It was just something I'd been reading about and it prompted me to ask about the gorge.I'd always intended a quick visit to the Mount en route.

We'll have to see what we can do about that coffee Zappers,if you won't be too busy wrapping Xmas pressies!

I am sure there'll be many more questions during the course of the year so you haven't heard the last of me.Ha ha!

5. Re: Travelling between Miranda and Reporoa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 16:17