We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 Days North Island in August with 3 Kids

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
11 Days North Island in August with 3 Kids

My husband and I are travelling to the North Island with our 3 children (11yrs, 9yrs & 6yrs old) in late August/early September for 11 days and I am hoping someone can help with a good driving itinerary and suggest places we must go and stay or see whilst visiting.

We fly into and depart from Auckland and we will be hiring a car from the airport. My idea at this stage is to definitely spend a few days in Rotorua and use this as our base for a few day trips as there seems to be a lot we can do with the kids - usually within an hour's drive.

We are also interested in visiting the Waitomo Caves and thought perhaps we should spend a couple of days in that area and/or down around the Napier area.

Any suggestions of routes we should take or places we should stay would be great. Also any advice on the weather at this time would be great as I am imagining any beach/water sport type activities will be out (unless of course they are thermal pools!)

We are all really looking forward to our trip to NZ.

THanks.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 11 Days North Island in August with 3 Kids

Hi

With 11 days you would just about have time to explore the Auckland Region, go up north (Bay of Islands) and also take in the central north island You may wish to consider the following to work on.

Day 1

Arrive Auckland

Day 2

Auckland

A day of relaxation and/or pottering about

Day 3 Monday

Auckland to the Hokianga

Via Kauri Museum at Matakohe

www.kauri-museum.com

and Waipoua Forest

The Hokianga Harbour is a beautiful area :

www.hokiangatourism.org.nz

Overnight Opononi or Omapere in the Hokianga

Day 4

Hokianga to the Bay of Islands

Have a look at:

www.bay-of-islands.co.nz

Overnight BOI

Day 5

Bay of Islands.

Overnight BOI

Day 6

Bay of Islands to Waiwera

Lazy start to the day – and then head back towards Auckland down SH 1 or take the coast road from Russell. I would suggest that you aim to reach Waiwera which is 45 minutes to an hour north of Auckland. Relaxing in the hot pools may appeal after the day’s drive. If you want a slightly bigger place then Orewa is just a short distance further down SH1.

Overnight Waiwera or Orewa

Day 7

Waiwera to Rotorua

Overnight Rotorua

Day 8

Rotorua

Overnight Rotorua

Day 9

Rotorua to Taupo

Overnight Taupo

Day 10

Taupo to Waitomo

Visit Caves

Overnight Waitomo

Day 11

Waitomo back to Auckland

2. Re: 11 Days North Island in August with 3 Kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 03:18