We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hahei to Auckland - which route to take?

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Hahei to Auckland - which route to take?

We have a quick business trip to Mount Maunganui and are staying a night at Hahei on the way home. We will have a full day to drive from Hahei to Auckland before spending the night in the new Novotel at the Airport as our flight leaves at 7am the next day.

We are looking for advice on the most scenic route and somewhere nice to stop for breaks. Should we go via Coromandel and Thames or follow 25A along the bottom of the peninsula?

What about the western side of the Firth of Thames? Is going via Kaiaua and Kawakawa Bay worthwhile?

We will have already spent a day driving from Auckland to Mount Maunganui and then another from the Mount up to Hahei.

Thanks

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hahei to Auckland - which route to take?

Hi

If you don't mind a bit more driving then I would go via Coromandel and Thames and then up the western side of the Firth of Thames. You will have to drive rather than put car on cruise control but I would say it would be worth it.

Whenever we go to the Coromandel we go via the western side of the Firth of Thames.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hahei to Auckland - which route to take?

Thanks for the information. I'm pleased to read that it is worth driving that way.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hahei to Auckland - which route to take?

If you're happy taking your time and doing a tiki tour then go via Coromandel township and as lonekauri says up the western side of the Firth of Thames then definitely take that route. It's beautiful scenery on the right day, the best Fish 'n Chips can be had at the bright blue shop next to the pub in Kaiaua or fresh oysters just before Kawakawa. If you're into sea & shore birds and it's high tide stop at the Miranda mudflats for some great viewing(there's a hide there for close up viewing) This is where thousands of godwits congrgate before their big migration to Siberia. Back on the Peninsula stop at the Diving Creek Railway for a great experience and amazing views.

Visit Waihi Beach on your way north, a very pretty spot, you "can cut the corner" and take a short cut through to the penninsula or take a short detour back to Waihi proper and have a look at the huge open cast mine right in the centre of town. Whiritoa is another short detour if you haven't seen enough of pristine beautiful beaches.

Enjoy the Mount, finally the mountain tracks are open after major slips closed many of them after a storm in January. You must climb to the top for some fantastic 360 degree views of the Bay. Enjoy.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hahei to Auckland - which route to take?

Thanks for more ideas Zappers.

Now all I have to worry about is whether or not the volcanic ash will allow me to even get there! :-(

Luckily the Qantas flights were too expensive - Virgin and Air NZ are somehow managing to avoid the ash at the moment. As I'm a nervous flyer anyway I don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. I'm trying not to think about it too much...

5. Re: Hahei to Auckland - which route to take?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 03:17