Hello Helpful TAers,
We have searched in this forum and got some ideas for our itinerary from helpful comments. We would like to have your feedback about our itinerary and also some questions.
We are going to rent a car and drive around from North to South Island in November. We are bringing our baby 9 month. This is our first trip with infant and also to New Zealand. We don’t want too much for the baby but we would like to spend most of our time in a beautiful country. Here our itinerary:
Day 01: Arrive Auckland (2 nights)
Day 02: Auckland
Day 03: Drive to Rotorua, 3hr35min (2 nights)
Day 04: Rotorua
Day 05: Drive to Taupo, 1hr (1 night)
Day 06: Drive to Wellington, 5hr10min (3 nights) (We have a relative here)
Day 07: Wellington
Day 08: Wellington
Day 09: Ferry to Picton, 3hr10min. Picton-Kaikoura, 2hr15min (1 night)
Day 10: Drive to Christchurch, 3hr (1 nights)
Day 11: Drive to Lake Tekapo, 2hr stop over then Mt Cook, 2hr45min (2 nights)
Day 12: Mt Cook
Day 13: Drive to Wanaka, 3hr (2 night)
Day 14: Wanaka
Day 15: Drive to Arrowtown, 1hr then to Te Anau 3hr35min (2 nights)
Day 16: Explore Milford Sound, 2hr20min, stay Te Anau
Day 17: Drive Queenstown, 2hr45min (3 nights)
Day 18: Queenstown
Day 19: Queenstown
Day 20: Depart Queenstown home
- Please let me know your feedback about the itinerary, suggestion is welcome
- We decided to rent a car in Auckland as we come early and can drive around before check in time and might easier with the baby. Do you think we should stay in city centre (mostly they charge $20/daily for car) or other area suggestion?
- From Rotorua to Wellington is very long drive so we thought to have a break in Taupo or do you think any other places in the middle but not sure where?
- From Picton, Is it better to stay in Kaikoura or Hanmer Spring? or just go direct to Christchurch.
- Is it better to stay in Mt Cook or Lake Tekapo? We would like to take helicopter or ski plane onto Tasman Glacier.
- For accommodation, is it better to book in advance or as we go along see how baby during the drive?
I really appreciate your feedback. Many thanks