We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help for final Itinerary & some question

Perth, Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Please help for final Itinerary & some question

Hello Helpful TAers,

We have searched in this forum and got some ideas for our itinerary from helpful comments. We would like to have your feedback about our itinerary and also some questions.

We are going to rent a car and drive around from North to South Island in November. We are bringing our baby 9 month. This is our first trip with infant and also to New Zealand. We don’t want too much for the baby but we would like to spend most of our time in a beautiful country. Here our itinerary:

Day 01: Arrive Auckland (2 nights)

Day 02: Auckland

Day 03: Drive to Rotorua, 3hr35min (2 nights)

Day 04: Rotorua

Day 05: Drive to Taupo, 1hr (1 night)

Day 06: Drive to Wellington, 5hr10min (3 nights) (We have a relative here)

Day 07: Wellington

Day 08: Wellington

Day 09: Ferry to Picton, 3hr10min. Picton-Kaikoura, 2hr15min (1 night)

Day 10: Drive to Christchurch, 3hr (1 nights)

Day 11: Drive to Lake Tekapo, 2hr stop over then Mt Cook, 2hr45min (2 nights)

Day 12: Mt Cook

Day 13: Drive to Wanaka, 3hr (2 night)

Day 14: Wanaka

Day 15: Drive to Arrowtown, 1hr then to Te Anau 3hr35min (2 nights)

Day 16: Explore Milford Sound, 2hr20min, stay Te Anau

Day 17: Drive Queenstown, 2hr45min (3 nights)

Day 18: Queenstown

Day 19: Queenstown

Day 20: Depart Queenstown home

Some questions:

- Please let me know your feedback about the itinerary, suggestion is welcome

- We decided to rent a car in Auckland as we come early and can drive around before check in time and might easier with the baby. Do you think we should stay in city centre (mostly they charge $20/daily for car) or other area suggestion?

- From Rotorua to Wellington is very long drive so we thought to have a break in Taupo or do you think any other places in the middle but not sure where?

- From Picton, Is it better to stay in Kaikoura or Hanmer Spring? or just go direct to Christchurch.

- Is it better to stay in Mt Cook or Lake Tekapo? We would like to take helicopter or ski plane onto Tasman Glacier.

- For accommodation, is it better to book in advance or as we go along see how baby during the drive?

I really appreciate your feedback. Many thanks

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help for final Itinerary & some question

Hi

The north island part tof your trip looks fine. I will leave to others to comment on soutn island section.

In Auckland if you decide to stay in the city centre then you are probably better off without a car. However the best of Auckland is to be found in the surrounding area where you would need a carm which with your 9 month old is prpbably going to make things easier.

Whe exactly will you be coming. I normally recommend booking accommodation for the first couple of night and possibly the last night and doing some research to idientify possible places to stay so that you can call or email ahead. This is what I usually do. However if you are coming in September and October (IRugby) you may be advised to book ajead or at least be mindful of where the games are.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help for final Itinerary & some question

I think your trip looks wonderful and wouldn't change a thing.

And yes, I prefer Aoraki/Mt Cook over Tekapo just because the scenery is even more stunning. Plus there are some easy walks to enjoy.

Nov won't be overly busy so you won't need to prebook accommodation but I would. There is nothing worse than driving round an unfamiliar town looking for a place to stay with a fractious baby in the car. Better to prebook and then you know exactly where you are staying and how much you'll be paying. Take a look at wotif.com for some good discounts.

Have a fabulous trip :)

Perth, Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help for final Itinerary & some question

lonekaurilodge - Thank so much for your feedback, Whereabout in the surrounding area of Auckland you recommend? and what area to stay? btw What is carm ?

Wanakalakes - You right, I think I should prebook the hotel first. Thanks for your advise.

Any other comments? please keep coming..Still want to know as well..

- From Rotorua to Wellington is very long drive so we thought to have a break in Taupo or do you think any other places in the middle but not sure where?

- From Picton, Is it better to stay in Kaikoura or Hanmer Spring? or just go direct to Christchurch.

Another questions, we are worried about Milford sound cruise, is it okay with the baby? and can we drive with our car to go there or should we book the couch? I heard some comments that driveway is not really good going there.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help for final Itinerary & some question

Taupo is lovely and well worth a stay.

Minimum age requirements for whale watching and (I think) hot pools so if wanting to go then one of you will need to watch the baby .

The Milford Road has a high number of accidents so do take care. In Nov you could expect rain... and snow isn't unheard of, though is unlikely …govt.nz/projects/milfordroad/RoadStatus.do

Or take a day of rest and enjoy the bus trip from Te Anau, a more relaxing option.

safe travels :)

wellington
Level Contributor
15 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help for final Itinerary & some question

Hi, I agree with above, your north island travel is fine. Rotorua to Wellington is a trek but it is do-able. Because your baby is still quite little you should plan to stop frequently - they shouldn't really be in a car seat for more than a couple of hours at a stretch. Stay in Taupo for a night by all means (De Bretts is reasonable and has hot pools) but for that trip to Wellington just plan to have lots of little stops: Taihape, Foxton (or Palmerston North if its fine, for the Esplanade), Levin or Otaki.

Stay at night in Kaikoura - it will break the journey up and is a picturesque place. Hanmer is nice but more driving.

If you stay in central Auckland you probably won't need a car while you are there as the CBD is easily walkable. But if you want to visit places further out a car might be easier with the baby...depends what you want to do in Auckland!

Have a wonderful time.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help for final Itinerary & some question

Sorry - carm is a typing error should be car!!

With regard to the surrounding area - the Waitakere Ranges to the west of the city or the rural area around Kumeu to the northwest.

Perth, Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help for final Itinerary & some question

Wanakalakes - thanks for your advise and link :)

NZVegan - thanks info for the place to stopover in wellington, noted it down.

Loneka - thanks noted it down the area.

Itinearary Auckland for staying 2 nights:

1st day a bit tricky as we arrive early morning from 7hrs flight from perth, usually I cant sleep on the plane, so it will be a bit tiring but hotel check-in about 2 pm. So any adivce what things we should do. We think about explore the city. Sky tower is on the list, not sure about Kelly tarlton? any other ideas?

2nd day - Drive to Mt Eden/Devonport, Victoria Market

Another question about Christchurch. Thought after Quake, some places & accommodation are closed, not sure in November. We are looking at Bealey Avenue Motel at Bealey Avenue. Is the location is good? Is it easy to find food? Some ideas to do while we are there for one night would appreciated it.

Perth, Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help for final Itinerary & some question

Anyone??

9. Re: Please help for final Itinerary & some question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 05:17