We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I choose Queenstown south island or Auckland island

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
77 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Should I choose Queenstown south island or Auckland island

I have about 9 days for vacation and I would like to seek prudence advice should I go north island or south island for the best ?

Besides sight seeing I want to do extreme sport like sky dive, water rafting, pumgee jump, etc.

Please help to advice, thanks a lot .

UK
Level Contributor
427 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I choose Queenstown south island or Auckland island

You need to stay in Queenstown, the adrenaline capital of NZ! You will find all the activities you want there. Stunning scenic location too!

Singapore
Level Contributor
168 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I choose Queenstown south island or Auckland island

Yes, I agree. As 9 days is not sufficient to explore the both islands, you should go to Queenstown where are many adventure and other activities available, as well as you can enjoy the stunning landscape there.

You can go Wanaka for skydiving also. Skydive in Wanaka is really "WoW"!!! You must try.

Heroes19

http://www.thetravelparadise.net/

t k
Oslo, Norway
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I choose Queenstown south island or Auckland island

I disagree, my pick would be Skydive Auckland (www. skydiveauckland.com) for the following reasons:

They do the highest jump in the North Island 16500ft (with amazing views - I could see coast to coast & Auckland city!)

It will cost you heaps less than the Queenstown operations which are VERY expensive - you'll be able to still do your rafting &bungy without breaking the bank. Bungy would be what I would save for Queenstown &rafting maybe in Taupo.

They were really professional and made my nervous girlfriend feel totally at ease - she wanted to do another jump as soon as she landed! PS they picked us up at SkyTower and it was free.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,610 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I choose Queenstown south island or Auckland island

With 9 days you don't need to restrict yourself to Queenstown, although there is plenty to do there. I suggest about 5 days in Queenstown and then 1 N in Wanaka; 2 N at Franz Josef Glacier; 1 N Christchurch before flying back to AKL & home.

Taupo
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I choose Queenstown south island or Auckland island

Definitely the North Island - as TK says the Skydive Auckland jump is 16,500FT and at least $45 less than QT's 15,000 ft - an extra 15-20 seconds of freefall for less - plus they do a great DVD/Photo package for just $170 ! Alternatively , Taupo , as TK also mentioned is the QT of the North - you can do almost everything in this stunning little Lakeside town ( Lake Taupo is the Largest lake in southern hemisphere!) that you can in QT for a fraction of the price ... Whale watching is a little difficult but everything from Rafting , Jet boating ( Rapids Jet are very different from the norm and cheaper ) , Kayaking , Parasailing - the awesome Tongariro National park ( Mt DOOM baby!!) .

I have freinds coming over soon and 2 weeks will be spent in Taupo out of a 3 and a half week stay !

Edited: 20 February 2012, 19:43
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I choose Queenstown south island or Auckland island

All our guests this summer have said that Queenstown is very very expensive, over rated and too touristy, and Taupo is so much better. More friendly, cheaper, more central and better weather. Their comments not ours.

I would also look at going to White Island in the Bay of Plenty by helicopter.

Just so special.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I choose Queenstown south island or Auckland island

For extreme sports there is only one place to go. The Adrenaline capital of NZ - Queenstown. Sure its not cheap but quality is never cheap.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I choose Queenstown south island or Auckland island

Queenstown-Adrenaline Capital of New Zealnad. You will enjoy it a lot more then. Also the sights are way more interesting especially if you prefer natural over cultural sights.

9. Re: Should I choose Queenstown south island or Auckland island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2013, 10:18