We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wellington or Rotorura

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
64 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Wellington or Rotorura

We will be in NZ from Sep 30 - Oct 15. Flying into Queenstown, and plan to head to the North Island on the 7th. I originally was planning to fly from Christchurch to Rotorura, then take the coach to Auckland via the Waitomo caves. Want to do a one day tour up to the Bay of Islands from Auckland. Am wondering if we should consider taking the train from Christchurch to Picton, then the ferry to Wellington for a couple of days instead? We are active retirees--

Thanks for any input.

1. Re: Wellington or Rotorura

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 00:05
New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wellington or Rotorura

Consider flying Christchurch to Wellington? Spend a day or two experiencing the capital city.

Then fly Wellington to Rotorua for a night.

Continue on with your original plan of bus via Waitomo to Auckland then tour to Bay of Islands.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wellington or Rotorura

From the 7th until the 15th October, you will have sufficient time to enjoy the sights between Christchurch and Auckland departure. The Coastal Pacific train journey covers some wonderful scenery, and the trip is only some 5 hours.

Suggestion:-

7th Oct - board Coastal Pacific train to Picton - OR overnight Kaikoura.

8th Oct - continue journey to Picton - ferry crossing to Wellington.

9th Oct - Wellington

10th Oct - flight to Rotorua OR Intercity coach travel to Rotorua.

11th Oct - Rotorua

12th Oct - Coach travel Rotorua via Waitomo Caves to Auckland

13th Oct - Auckland

14th Oct - day-tour Bay of Islands return OR stay overnight BOI with domestic flight from Kerikeri to Auckland following day.

15th Oct - departure.

For Auckland sights, the Explorer bus service is a good sightseeing option.

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
17 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wellington or Rotorura

New Zealand is a beautiful place. Having said that I would not go to Wellington unless I needed to for the ferry. It's sort of a hodgepodge of a town with nothing special to recommend it. It's CBD is also suffering from the economy and is a little depressing.

Just too many other places to spend time.

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
64 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wellington or Rotorura

Thanks for the responses. I guess my real question is whether to go to Rotorura at all. I've read mixed reviews about it being commercial. We lived in Hawaii for a number of years, and saw Maori/Pacific Island performances many times, so not really interested in going to the evening dinner/performance. However, since we ARE tourists, I'm not against going to sites that are "touristy"...there is usually a reason that everyone wants to see them.

I had allowed several days for Auckland...based on the replies, it sounds like a day or two there is sufficient?

Would the Bay of Islands full day trip be a good option? It looks spectacular, and I would love to do a trip that includes the Hole in the Rock.

Thanks for all the advice. When I get the pieces of the trip finalized, I'll post my itinerary, and follow up with a trip report when we return. I know the trip is a long way off, but planning is half the fun!

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wellington or Rotorura

First time I've heard Wellington referred to as a hodge-podge of a town! Wellington must have some redeeming features, otherwise it wouldn't have featured as #4 on Lonely Planet's top 10 cities to visit in 2011. Only thing you can do is visit Wellington and decide for yourself.

We spent a couple of days in Rotorua last month and did some touristy things. Yeah, there are heaps of tourists, but with good reason. It is a geothermal wonderland. We enjoyed our time, even though I was probably the only proper Kiwi visiting the sights!

7. Re: Wellington or Rotorura

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 08:17