We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we pre-book B&B's in the North Island over New Year?

fife
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Should we pre-book B&B's in the North Island over New Year?

Coming over for a 3 week trip around the North Island over Christmas & New Year and we're wondering if we should pre-book B&B's at this time of year? We don't want to be tied down to a rigid route in case we want to spend extra time in certain places. We are travelling clockwise from Auckland to Wellington, then up the West Coast to Bay Of Islands for New Year.

Also I have Coeliac Disease so I'm concerned about the availability of gluten-free food while travelling? Hence the reason I'm more keen to pre-book accommodation, but my husband isn't.

Any information would be appreciated! Especially from fellow Coeliacs! Thanks.

Rotorua New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we pre-book B&B's in the North Island over New Year?

If you want to stay at B & B's you have chosen as 'first choice' then you are advised to book or you may miss out. I would suggest you book some of your' first choice's' and leave other's a bit more flexible. Most B & B hosts would provide gluten free food for your breakfast but that is why booking and advising your hosts of your Coeliac Disease is advisable. I would suggest you buy a small supply from a supermarket when you arrive in NZ so you have an emergency kit.If you stay somewhere on the spur of the moment and your host does not have the necessary food, you will then still be able to eat.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we pre-book B&B's in the North Island over New Year?

Hi and welcome to the NZ Forum

I would recommend booking your first couple of nights to recuperate and get organised before setting off on your travels. I would suggest that between now and when you arrive that you identify possible places to stay so that you can call or email a few days ahead. Provided places have a a day or two notice most would be happy to cater for your dietary requirements

Finding accommodation over Christmas New Year will be more difficult in popular beach locations and I would certainly recommend booking ahead in places such as the Bay of Islands.

Just a couple of other things to bear in mind.

Firstly be aware that it takes a long time to get from A to B in New Zealand - we have no extensive motorway system and our road are more like your smaller A roads and B roads. Try to avoid the temptation to cram too much into too short a time and avoid really long day's drives

Also try and much as possible to stay more than one night in a place - this makes for a much more relaxing holiday.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,320 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we pre-book B&B's in the North Island over New Year?

Gluten free food is widely available in both supermarkets and restaurants in NZ which is why ValGe's idea of some supplies is a good one. You cannot expect a B& B to provide such food without prior warning.

fife
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we pre-book B&B's in the North Island over New Year?

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated! Yes I think we will pre-book a few places and we will also reduce our driving times by scaling back the tour to a manageable level. We had also tracked down a gluten-free supermarket in Auckland for supplies but I just thought it would be nice to find places that may possibly be able to provide hot, gluten-free meals in the evenings too. I would never expect a B&B to provide dietary food without prior warning, hence the reason for posting.

Thanks again!

Rotorua New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we pre-book B&B's in the North Island over New Year?

Most NZ supermarkets now have gluten free supplies.

6. Re: Should we pre-book B&B's in the North Island over New Year?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2013, 10:35