We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Days in Wellington

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
2 Days in Wellington

My whanau and I just returned from our 2 day trip to Wellington and I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice on activities, playgrounds etc.

For a start the weather couldn't have been more perfect. I can't imagine you could get nicer days than that in the middle of winter.

We stayed in the Amora which was lovely and modern, well-located, and had a good family package whih included breakfast and zoo passes.

We did end up hiring a car which I'm pleased we did as it gave us a lot of flexibility outside of hotel check-in hours. It also gave us a chance to go for a tiki-touring drive out to the suburbs and even out to the wind turbines near Makara (I don't recommend these roads for a nervous driver). However, I can also understand why some people recommended we walk and use public transport - Wellington roads and parking are a bit of a nightmare. With cars parked alongside the curb, many hillside roads are dropped down to one narrow lane.

We also did a lot of walking including a lap of the hilly botanical gardens, Zealandia, Te Papa, the Waterfront and town centre, and the Zoo. All were wonderful, but the zoo was a favourite. Not a huge number of animals, but the themeing and the gardens are just beautiful. Also there are lots of cute babies at present.

Our favourite meal was in the Picnic cafe in the gardens. Everything was free-range and my husband said it was one of the best big breakfasts he'd ever had. The Larder cafe near the Weta Cave was also lovely.

We got to two of the playgrounds suggested - the botanical gardens and Frank Kitts Park - and my son loved both. Thanks again everyone for your advice.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
14,531 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Days in Wellington

What a lovely JBR, Oskar. I've enjoyed reading your review. The capital is a delightful city, and you've inspired me to make a return visit when I can find an affordable Link airfare. So pleased to read that you had wonderful weather too!

Cheers.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Days in Wellington

Wellington is one the few places that a car is not necessary. Most of the CBD is accessible by foot and having places like Zealandia so close to the central city is a tremendous drawcard.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,111 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Days in Wellington

SI Bill Zealandia is little more than a walk away from town. If you didnt have transport to get to and from you would be spending all day walking to and fro. Oskar having stayed in Wellington recently you are now well qualified to expel the myth circulated as norm by your fellow Jafas that Wellington is a windy place.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Days in Wellington

Bean, there's a free bus to Zealandia at the top of the cable car (it also stops at Te Papa).

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Days in Wellington

Thanks Frangipani.

Bean, I think to dispel the myth, Wellingtonians might need to first start with the sign on the hill :-)

As for the car/bus debate, like I said I can see pros and cons to both. My boy was absolutely knackered after all the walking, so while he napped in the back seat, we rested by going for a drive out to the suburbs. It was lovely to have that as an option. It was also nice to pop out to places like the Weta Cave without having to negotiate bus timetables and plan our days around them. All up the car (rental, petrol and parking) cost about $160 for the 2 days. We probably could have halved this by using buses and airport shuttles etc, but for the conveniennce we were happy.

To be honest, travelling with a young kid, I would probably opt to hire a car again. If it was just my husband and I, we'd probably use the buses.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Days in Wellington

As far as I know the Zealandia shuttle will pick up from most accommodation in Wellington. It a great service I urge everyone to take advantage of this service and visit the special place of Zealandia

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Days in Wellington

Te Papa, The Cable Car and 3 accommodation places (on demand). It returns hourly just to the visitor centre.

visitzealandia.com/Site/…shuttle

8. Re: 2 Days in Wellington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2013, 10:16