Re North Island, We have options of RCI resorts in
(a) Bay of Islands
(b) Mount Maunganui
We have to select any two ( 1 week at each resort) !
(1) Out of the above 4, which places offer better sight seeing and simple family activities for Month of May ? Which should be the best 2 options you would select - as a family vacation?
(2) Is Bay of islands worth visiting in Mid May? Can we do water activities in the beaches of Bay of Islands or Bay of Plenty ( Mount Maunganui) in Autumn (mid May) or is the water too cold ?
(3) Besides the above, which other 2 -3 top places would you suggest for me to add in my itinerary. We can stretch the stay by 3-4 days and visit places or do a car drive taking a scenic route etc.
(4) Can we do a self drive in Autumn for long distance scenic routes? Are the roads safe or too slippery due to snow .... between Mid to end May? I have never ever driven on snowy or icy roads before.
(5) Is there any selection for better sightseeing as to which side North ... or .... South to visit first in month of May or can I select either of the side for 1st 2 weeks of May and other side for the last 2 weeks of May?
These answers will help me freeze my itinerary. Thanks in advance for all the help.
Regards / Pinesh Mehta