We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary and Places of Interest in North Island in AUTUMN !

Mumbai
Level Contributor
53 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary and Places of Interest in North Island in AUTUMN !

Hi Everybody,

My Family and I will be travelling to New Zealand in the month of May (1st may to 31st May). We intend to spend 2 weeks in South Island and 2 weeks in North Island!

Re North Island, We have options of RCI resorts in

(a) Bay of Islands

(b) Mount Maunganui

(c) Taupo

(d) Rotorua

We have to select any two ( 1 week at each resort) !

(1) Out of the above 4, which places offer better sight seeing and simple family activities for Month of May ? Which should be the best 2 options you would select - as a family vacation?

(2) Is Bay of islands worth visiting in Mid May? Can we do water activities in the beaches of Bay of Islands or Bay of Plenty ( Mount Maunganui) in Autumn (mid May) or is the water too cold ?

(3) Besides the above, which other 2 -3 top places would you suggest for me to add in my itinerary. We can stretch the stay by 3-4 days and visit places or do a car drive taking a scenic route etc.

(4) Can we do a self drive in Autumn for long distance scenic routes? Are the roads safe or too slippery due to snow .... between Mid to end May? I have never ever driven on snowy or icy roads before.

(5) Is there any selection for better sightseeing as to which side North ... or .... South to visit first in month of May or can I select either of the side for 1st 2 weeks of May and other side for the last 2 weeks of May?

These answers will help me freeze my itinerary. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Regards / Pinesh Mehta

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
North Island
North Island
New Zealand
Bay of Islands
Bay of Islands
Northland Region, New Zealand
Mount Maunganui
Mount Maunganui
Tauranga, New Zealand
Taupo
Taupo
Taupo District, New Zealand
Rotorua
Rotorua
Rotorua District, New Zealand
Bay of Plenty Region
Bay of Plenty Region
North Island, New Zealand
New Zealand
Level Contributor
6,499 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary and Places of Interest in North Island in AUTUMN !

Rotorua would be the top choice for family activities at that time of year. Taupo is close enough to Rotorua that you could spend a day or two sightsseing around there during the week you are in Rotorua. The water will be too cold for swimming in the Bay of Islands or Mt Maunganui, but there will be boat trips. Personally I'd prefer the Bay of Islands, and take the time to go up to Cape Reinga and 90 Mile Beach.

Mentioned in this post
Rotorua
Rotorua
Taupo
Taupo
Bay of Islands
Bay of Islands
Mount Maunganui
Mount Maunganui
Tauranga, New Zealand
Cape Reinga
Cape Reinga
636 Reviews
Cape Reinga, New Zealand
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,858 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary and Places of Interest in North Island in AUTUMN !

I would visit the SI first in hope of seeing some final autumn colour and avoiding early winter chills!

In the NI I agree that Rotorua & the BoI offer the most variety for a family given that it will be too cold for swimming or lying on the beach at "The Mount". From Rotorua it will be an easy day trip through to the Mount for a brisk walk on the beach, or on a sunny day, walk around the Mount itself.

Mentioned in this post
Rotorua
Rotorua
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
16,476 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary and Places of Interest in North Island in AUTUMN !

Rotorua and the Bay of Islands are my 2 suggestions. From each location you can explore the wider region and see different scenery and attractions in each location. The sea-water will be too cold for swimming at both the Mount/Tauranga area as well as Paihia. But at this time of year your attention will likely focus on boat trips, short coastal walks, native bush reserves and inland activities.

Both areas will introduce you to Maori culture and important historical events in NZ's settlement. The climate in the Bay orf Islands & Far North will likely be milder than the inland thermal region of Rotorua - Taupo area. The autumn colours are not as striking in Northland however.

Enjoy the many autumn scenes and splendours!

Mentioned in this post
Rotorua
Rotorua
Bay of Islands
Bay of Islands
Tauranga
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty Region, New Zealand
Paihia
Paihia
Bay of Islands, New Zealand
Taupo
Taupo
Northland Region
Northland Region
North Island, New Zealand
4. Re: Itinerary and Places of Interest in North Island in AUTUMN !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 06:17