We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Island Itinerary Help

California
Level Contributor
235 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
North Island Itinerary Help

Help and comments!

Currently, we are looking at a 13 night/14 day North Island Tour

Auckland (2)

Omapere (1)

Paihia (3)

Orewa or Waiera (1) = Stop on the way to Rotorua

Rotorua (2)

Napier (2)

Martinborough (1)

Wellington (1)

Would you suggest other options? My concern is that I have 4 one-nighters, which I don't usually do but here it looks like it breaks drives down to shorter times allowing time to do other things (rather than sit in a car all day).

Thanks!

Waitomo Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Canyoning & Rappelling Tours, Day Trips
New Zealand Riverjet
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Day Trips
Hawkes Bay Express
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,856 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Island Itinerary Help

This seems like a relaxed and sensible itinerary. As the 1 night stays are separated by 2-3 nights I don't think they will be problematic. You could stop for lunch in Martinborough and continue on to Wellington for 2 nights.

California
Level Contributor
235 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Island Itinerary Help

Zhuhai2007,

Thank you! Great suggestion! Stopping by in Martinborough and staying two nights in Wellington looks like a great solution. Zaps 2 - 1 nighters

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Island Itinerary Help

Hi

Your itinerary looks good.

I would personally spend 2 nights in Ompapere but I must admit to being a great fan of the Hokianga. You will presumably arrive late afternoon having driven from Auckland and you will find plenty to do in the area on the following day.

You will find a far greater choice of accommodation in Orewa but Waiwera does of course have the hot pools. You may also wish to take a look at Puhoi - this is a historic settlement conveniently located close to the start of the motorway (toll applies) south.

These are only suggestions and if you choose to leave your itinerary as is with regard to the first part you will be fine.

4. Re: North Island Itinerary Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2013, 10:18