We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tap water safe to drink in N. Island?

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
tap water safe to drink in N. Island?

I'm going on a trip on the North Island to Auckland, Rotorua, Taupo and Waitomo Caves. Is the tap water at the local accommodations (ranging from house to B&B) safe to drink at all these locations? Thanks.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tap water safe to drink in N. Island?

all public wate supplies in NZ must be safe to drink. they are tested regularily to ensure that they are safe.

If for some reason that a town water supply has become 'unsafe to drink' then warnings are issued requiring all drinking water to be boiled.

the most recnt high profile case when this occured was following the Christchurch earthquakes

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tap water safe to drink in N. Island?

Unless you're getting right out into the country and staying in places that rely on rainwater tanks, I can't see why you would be worried.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tap water safe to drink in N. Island?

Thanks coaster2 and Selsy, for your replies.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,102 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tap water safe to drink in N. Island?

I wouldn't worry about rainwater tanks either. I lived on rainwater in the Waikato for many years - there is little industry or air pollution to harm the water supply. If anything I'd rather drink tank water than Hamilton City's highly chlorinated water supply!!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tap water safe to drink in N. Island?

It's just that the occasional possum or dead bird has been found in a rainwater tank but, as zhuhai2007 says, rainwater can be more pleasant to drink.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,102 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tap water safe to drink in N. Island?

It was a drowned penguin once that spoiled a holiday in Akaroa!

7. Re: tap water safe to drink in N. Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 09:15