We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a holiday- though a lot already booked...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a holiday- though a lot already booked...

So, we are driving around for the first week.. Then second week we are based at Turangi, so we can drive in and out of there. Here is what is booked so far-

Arrive late, so first night in Auckland. Next morning pick up car..

2nd night- Stay Kaitia, drive up west side via the Kauri forest (huge drive I know!!)

Next day- drive out to Cape Reinga for a look. After that, drive to Paihia.

2 nights Paihia- (suggestions)

After leave Bay of islands, drive down to Thames for a night. Suggestions here?

After Thames- Waitomo for a night... booked Spellbound, hopefully they'll have availability.

Then to Turangi for 6 nights... No idea of what we're doing then.

We have 2 kids, 8 and 11, who travel well and don't mind a bit of walking / trekking - definitely no bungy though!!! I don't think my heart would stand it!

Thanks for any advice, please don't criticise my speed with which we are zooming through the far north, it's a taster for future trips hopefully!

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a holiday- though a lot already booked...

Auckland toKaitia is a big drive but doable. We did a similar journey last year in a campervan so you will manage in a car. I can't advise on motels because as I said we were in a van. I would base myself in Russel with a day trip to Paihia whilst in the BOI

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,466 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a holiday- though a lot already booked...

What month is this? If during school holidays you might be able to attend one of the kids' fishing days at the Trout Hatchery:

http://www.troutcentre.com/?id=117

Clearly a day in Taupo to see Huka Falls or as far as Wai-o-tapu for a Thermal Park would be good;

Tongaririo NP offers lots of walks;

Lake Rotopounamu is a very nice short walk on a fine day.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a holiday- though a lot already booked...

It's in the holidays that are coming :-)

Great ideas!! Thanks!!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,316 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a holiday- though a lot already booked...

Hi Annie,

As you've already identified, the drive from Auckland to Kaitaia via Waipoua Forest, and presumably the Rawene ferry is a huge distance for only your second day in New Zealand.

Is there a special reason why you've opted to stay 6 nights in Turangi? I suggest you reduce that length of stay to 3 - 4 nights and spend more time enjoying the sights and attractions in the northern part of the North Island, plus another night in Thames/Coromandel area.

Day 2 take a more leisurely pace and stay in the Omapere - Opononi area for the 2nd night. This will allow sufficient time to take in Matakohe kauri museum, followed by Waipoua Forest and maybe a side trip to Kai Iwi lakes before you reach the kauri-tree reserve.

Day 3 Kaitaia via Rawene ferry and Broadwood. You can still reach Cape Reinga this day and continue on to Paihia for the 2 nights.

Since you've already booked Spellbound tour, how about leaving your Thames - Coromandel visit until after Waitomo tour. It was going to be a long drive from Paihia to Thames anyway just to overnight before continuing on to Waitomo the following morning.

I think you've set a hectic pace because our Kiwi roads will be unlike the roading you are likely familiar with. All those windy roads and slowing down for small towns (50KPH) and several 80 kph stretches will leave the driver tired.

What else do you have planned after Turangi?

Edited: 07 April 2013, 05:25
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,466 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a holiday- though a lot already booked...

" holidays that are coming"? Since it is school holidays now, do you mean July? Wnter may curtail activiites around Turangi/Tongariro NP unles you are coming for the skiing!!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a holiday- though a lot already booked...

Oh, my mistake, I thought your April Holidays were same as ours in Oz, it's the end of April / beginning of May.. I know we are really pushing the driving, we are quite used to that, and having driven around South island, and Far North Queensland (similar twisty windy roads) we are anticipating the length of time. The 6 nights in Turangi is due to a timeshare booking... That's how the whole trip came about... Keep the suggestions coming!! Thanks everyone!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a holiday- though a lot already booked...

We haven't planned anything while in Turangi, I have contacted the company for the kid's to do the trout fishing workshop (no answer yet) and will go to Rotarua. Also did a 'moon crater walk' many years back when I was on your lovely island when I went as a carer with a group of disabled adults. This a family trip this time...

California
Level Contributor
7,328 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a holiday- though a lot already booked...

If you're up for someplace off the beaten path, drive about 22km down SH1 and turn left on Tree Trunk Gorge Rd and follow it about 5km to the bridge. The Tongariro River gets flumed down a narrow abyss that you can see from the bridge. (Hard to believe that kayakers will attempt to go down it, and there are a couple of RIP crosses at the bridge) But even better is to take the tiny trail at the west end of the bridge and hike upstream. It's a short scramble and you can settle down on the rocks. The scenery is amazing!

This photo and the next two are from that area:

http://www.fmsphotos.com/Travel/NZ2011/20971072_7CzNv9#!i=1666238878&k=ZFnVv4q

We did it on the same day as a walk around Lake Rotopounamu, if you decide to do that.

Edited: 07 April 2013, 17:10
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a holiday- though a lot already booked...

They are beautiful photos, thanks for sharing!! Great suggestions and advice...

10. Re: Planning a holiday- though a lot already booked...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2014, 07:17