We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Zealand

SF,CA
Level Contributor
271 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
New Zealand

Want to book a trip to NZ with grownup kids for December: what's the best airport to fly into? Suggest starting with North Island then on to South Island: your recommended itinerary very much appreciated!

All depends on if I get flights!!!!

Oz
Level Contributor
11,911 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Zealand

Hi,

How long do you have in NZ?

The general consensus is a minimum of one week is required for the North Island and two weeks for the South Island to just visit the icons.

NZ is about the landscapes, Activities, Maori Culture, thermal wonders, glaciers and fiords not cities so time is needed to drive between visitor nodes.

Cheers,

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Zealand

Auckland is the biggest airport in New Zealand and where all the international flights come into so you will have to fly into Auckland. And it depends how much time you have. South Island is where most of the beautiful sights are. It's a lot more peaceful and country than the North. However I do love Northland of the North Island because that's where all the beautiful beaches are. Think beach, sun, surf and views in the North. Think even MORE views and country in the South. Queenstown is a must for anyone who comes to NZ but it's quite a way from Auckland. Either way I promise you will have an amazing time here.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Zealand

If you go via Australia, you get a few more options for airports, but yes, Auckland is our major international hub.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Zealand

You can actually fly into Christchurch internationally as well but it does tend to be cheaper to fly into Auckland.

California
Level Contributor
6,939 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Zealand

Fly into Auckland, and fly out of either Queenstown or Christchurch. It will depend on how much time you have. The South Island can be done as a somewhat straight line from the north down to Queenstown if time is short. If you have more time, then you can do more of a loop and end up back in Christchurch.

If you have less than two weeks, I'd suggest just doing one island.

From my experience flying out of SFO, generally the lowest fares and greatest availability to airports in order are:

Auckland

Christchurch

Queenstown

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Zealand

Don't forget to include Rotorua, Taupo, Coromandel beaches in your itinerary, lots of things to do there with grownup children. I would definately include more time in the South Island than the North as the South Island is very rugged and can be quite a distance between stops, beautiful scenery also. Have fun.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Zealand

There's just so much to do in every town! You will need at least 2 full days each town to truly appreciate them... Not forgetting the many hikes between the towns if you self-drive. Adding the drive time... U really need minimum a week to merely taste each island.

My recent visit, 15 days - main towns:

Paihia

Rotorua

Napier

Wellington

Picton/Kaikoura

Mt Cook

Queenstown

Franz Josef

Greymouth/Christchurch

SF,CA
Level Contributor
271 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Zealand

This advice is golden! Many thanks and keep it coming...

9. Re: New Zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 07:18