We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Island in July

Darwin, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
North Island in July

We (2 women in our 50s) are picking up a campervan in Wellington 1/7/13 & dropping it off in Aukland 14/7/13. Any suggestions for an itinery? Both chefs we are interested in local produce, markets etc. reasonably fit, but looking at a leisurely pace seeing as much as possible. Prefer powered sites at night, North Island only, as we plan another trip to the South. We will be coming from the tropics, any tips on suitable clothing will be appreciated, thanks, Dale

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Island in July

Aim to be in Hawkes Bay weekend 06 - 07 July. Saturday is Farmer's Urban Street Market in Napier (small in comparison to the Hastings Sunday market) ; Sunday is Hastings Farmer's market - refer http://www.hawkesbayfarmersmarket.co.nz/

Maybe an itinerary similar :

01 July = Wellington

02 July = Wellington

03 July = drive Wellington to the Wairarapa (Greytown or Martinborough)

04 July = The Wairarapa

05 July = drive Wairarapa to Napier Hawkes Bay (can recommend staying at Snapper Park @ Bayview)

06 July = Napier / Hawkes Bay

07 July = Napier - Hastings Farmer's Market in the morning, early afternoon drive to Taupo (2hrs drive time)

08 July = drive Taupo to Rotorua

I will leave other TA experts to advise you on routing from Rotorua to end you in Auckland 14 July. (My personal pick would be hang out at Coromandel!)

Enjoy!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Island in July

You asked about clothing - being in a camper van you may a need a bit of extra warmth during winter! You will find temps will be around 15deg by the middle of the day and very very cool at night (8-12deg) and early morning chills.

a) Buy merino 'undershirts' online (I buy mine from :: www.carolineeve.co.nz/product/… or b) buy upon arrival at local Caroline Eve clothing store, or buy cheap PickABerry tops from The Warehouse for the layered thing.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,977 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Island in July

In Wellington, a visit to Moore Wilson's in College St would be worthwhile for any food lover.

http://www.moorewilson.co.nz/

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Island in July

Hey Dale, I commend your decision to take two weeks to go from Wellington to Auckland. So many people want to 'do' NZ within the same timespan. You will be able to have a real look at the places,the locals and experience what NZ has to offer. With regard to your campervan, if you get a small one then you will be cold but if you get a larger one then you'll be fine. Enjoy your time

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
132 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Island in July

This website may help you http://www.marketground.co.nz/fmnz/35276/

Darwin, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: North Island in July

Thanks so much for the info & suggestions, especially the tips on the local markets and links provided, I'm sure it will all help with our planning, cheers

Edited: 23 April 2013, 05:08
Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Island in July

The grass at the campgrounds will be wet and could be muddy, so bring (or buy) appropriate footwear.

There are no Caroline Eve stores in Wellington. The Warehouse is a good bet for inexpensive clothing, or there's Icebreaker (very nice, expensive and store at the airport), Kathmandu and Macpac are good choices for merino and jackets. You should plan for temperatures to be at or just below zero in some locations. It regularly gets frosty in the Wairarapa and central North Island, and the wind chill in other parts can be wicked.

There are a couple of roads that can be prone to road closures due to snow, so check before you set off if it's been stormy. They are the Rimutaka Hill Rd between Wellington and the Wairarapa and the road between Napier and Taupo. The roads are closed infrequently and reopen pretty quickly, so it's just something to be aware of rather than worry about.

Masterton...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: North Island in July

The suggestions above taking you through Wairarapa and Hawkes Bay along SH2, the Classic New Zealand Wine Trail are excellent for you as foodies. In Wairarapa make sure you visit food highlights:

*Olives - Molive Gold, Olivo, Arrabon and Fantail Grove

*Wines - pick up a wine map at an i-SITE Visitor Centre

*Lamb - Pirinoa Lamb; used by many North Island restaurants

*Mushroom Factory - on the back road from Martinborough to Masterton

*Gormet Chocolate - Schoc Chocolates in Greytown

*Bakery - award winning Ten o'Clock Cookie in Masterton

*Innovative fruit orchard - Wee Red Barn just north of Masterton

Have a great trip.

9. Re: North Island in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2014, 06:20