We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glow worm caves and hobbiton

USA
Level Contributor
131 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Glow worm caves and hobbiton

What are the possibilities of fitting in a trip to the glow worm caves and hobbiton during the first 2 weeks? My sister is coming with us for the first 2 weeks (or so) and I being the amateur tour guide would like her to see as much as possible. I feel the glow worms are so uniquely New Zealand that she should see them. (Hubby and I could see them on the South Island later in the trip). We will be doing self drive and traveling Feb/Mar 2014. Thank you for your help.

Day 1 Leave USA

Day 3 Arrive Auckland

Day 4 Explore Auckland

Day 5 Drive from Auckland to Pahia (do loop on Coastal Rd, Whakapra to Russell) (232K, 3:18)

Day 6 90 mile beach bus tour

Day 7 Rock the Boat Overnight tour, snorkeling, Overnight on boat

Day 8 Drive from Pahia to ? Somewhere near Auckland

Day 9 Drive from ? To Whitianga, see hot water beach at Hahei (if tides are right, need low tide)

Day 10 Explore Coromandel peninsula, kayak, hike

Day 11 Drive from Whitianga to Whakatane (323K, 4:15)

Day 12 Boat trip to White Island, Active Marine Volcano tour

Day 13 Drive from Whakatane to Rotorua (85K, 1:15)

Day 14 Explore Rotorua, thermal volcanic activity

Day 15 Drive from Rotorua to TNP/Lake Taupo, overnight in Turangi (80K, 1:15) Sister Flies home?

Day 16 Fishing Lake Taupo, see Huka Falls

Day 17 Explore, hike Tongariro Crossing (17K)

Day 18 Drive from TNP/Lake Taupo to Wellington (404K, 5:30)

Day 19 Explore Wellington

Day 20 Ferry from Wellington to Picton

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,785 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glow worm caves and hobbiton

Is your sister flying out of Taupo or Rotorua? Could she take a coach tour to AKL, via Waitomo Caves with Great Sights on day 14 or 15.

USA
Level Contributor
131 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glow worm caves and hobbiton

We have not yet purchased the airfare, so the departure city is still flexible. The coach tour is a possibility, I will look into that. Thank you

3. Re: Glow worm caves and hobbiton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2014, 05:15