We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any suggestions for 3 weeks in North Island in Oct/Nov?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
71 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Any suggestions for 3 weeks in North Island in Oct/Nov?

I hate to bother people but have read & searched quite a bit and am still lost about an itinerary.

We fly into Wellington and plan to spend the first night there and then a few days skiiing at Mount Ruapehu (depends on whether Turoa and Whakapapa has the best snow at that time as to which field ie at the end of the season in October). Any suggestions for which town would be best to stay around the Mount?

After that we've got no real plans apart from wanting to spend some time in Auckland, Rotorua, Bay of Islands and possibly diving on the Poor Knights.

Thanks so much to anyone who bothers to reply to this...I'm a HUGE fan of TA and never travel without thoroughly researching it here first :o)

We also fly out of Wellington.

Regards

Rosie

c73
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
17 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any suggestions for 3 weeks in North Island in Oct/Nov?

Hi - after skiiing head to Rotorua, some lovely lakes for walks etc, drive up to Auckland, consider some time visiting Waiheke if you like wine tasting and chilled out lifestyle (more a summer destination but hopefully weather ok by then!) IN Wellington perhaps spend some time in Martinborough...have not been there myself - but on my wish list! Sorry just a short reply but hopefully opened up a couple of more ideas?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,035 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any suggestions for 3 weeks in North Island in Oct/Nov?

Three weeks, Oct/Nov - very unlikely there will still be skiing that late in the season. Ruapehu is a very sunny mountain and the snow quickly turns to slush in the spring. It has been known to stay open until Labour Weekend but I visited first week of October 2011 and it was very marginal.

Auckland
Level Contributor
493 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any suggestions for 3 weeks in North Island in Oct/Nov?

A few place you may want to add to your list:

Hawkes Bay is a lovely area to explore, particularly if you are a foodie or into your wine or boutique beer. They also have an extensive series of cycle ways through the area

Coromandel for rainforests, hot water beach, cathedral cove

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
71 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any suggestions for 3 weeks in North Island in Oct/Nov?

Thanks very much for the replies.

Just one follow up question, if we plan to dive the Poor Knights & also explore Northlands, would you recommend staying at Whangarei or Tutukaka?

Rosie

5. Re: Any suggestions for 3 weeks in North Island in Oct/Nov?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2014, 06:16