We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Days Auckland - Wellington

london
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
7 Days Auckland - Wellington

Hello!

4 of us girls are planning on 2 week trip of NZ in August. 7 days north, 7 days south.

We plan on hiring a campervan and going from Auckland - Wellington fly to Christchurch, hire another campervan and drive to Queenstown. Does this sound do-able?

Also anyone have any better ideas than the following:

Auck-Bay of Islands

BOI - Rotorua

Rotorua - Taupo

Taupo - Hawkes Bay

Hawkes Bay - Wellington

We will prob just take it as it comes and see how long we want to spend in each place (either a night or day) We want to do walks, see different scenaries, wineries !??!

Thanks in advance :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,035 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Days Auckland - Wellington

Do bear in mind that it will be mid-winter and you may need chains on alpine passes so make sure you hire them and know how to fit them. Pay especial attention to the weather reports each night when in the mountains.

You won't be able to do all 6 places on your NI list in only 7 days as you'll be driving most of the day on at least 4 days. Suggest you either drop Northland or drop Napier- Wlg and return the van in AKL, then fly to CHC.

Can you get a rental van one way from Chch to Queenstown? Again remember the ski season will be at its peak so you will need to prebook campsites in Queenstown & Wanaka.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 Days Auckland - Wellington

Have you considered leaving the campervan for summer travel?

Queenstown's August overnight temps could drop below -6C.

Plus many campervan renters find the bathroom so small they end up just using it just for storage. This means having the brave the freezing night temps when wanting the loo or shower.

A car and motels offers greater space, real beds and showers and warmth - plus a car is easier to drive.

Happy planning :)

California
Level Contributor
7,127 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Days Auckland - Wellington

We loved our campervan trips, but wouldn't do it in Winter. I also think the one-way drop off fees might be prohibitively high.

I'd drop the Bay of Islands. It's a long way to go to just turn around again. Plus you have to go through the miles and miles of Auckland when heading back south.

WL, our loo was always available for use in the middle of the night. It became our drying room and I kept my toiletries and makeup there. But you are right, it's too small to be used regularly. And the shower was used once and then we wised up. There's much more room and water pressure at the campground facilities.

london
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 Days Auckland - Wellington

Thanks for the reply... unfortunately with my job Aug is the latest time I can take off. Maybe we'll look at car hire & motel instead.. we just wanted more of an experience but don't want to be stupid!!!! thx again!

london
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 Days Auckland - Wellington

hmm I didnt realise the drives were so far. I got this route from other forums. Is that because odd weather conditions???

sth island we are now thinking chch return trip for logistic reasons!!

my friend really wants to see Wellington so maybe we will cut out BOI .. just looks so nice!!!!

6. Re: 7 Days Auckland - Wellington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2014, 05:17