We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Five Days in October + Hotel Availability

cleveland, oh
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Five Days in October + Hotel Availability

Hi,

I'm flying to Auckland in mid-October and spending 18 days with little in the way of plans right now. My thoughts were to rent a car and drive around North Island for about 5 days, take the ferry from Wellington, and then the train from Picton to Christchurch where I'll pick up a campervan for the rest of my trip exploring South Island. I'll have a couple of days in Auckland at the very end.

A couple of questions:

- My North Island tour was to go to Bay of Islands, then Coromandel Peninsula, and then ending in Wellington. Would 5 days be sufficient?

- I've booked hotels for Auckland and Wellington, as well as my rental car, but am thinking of not booking hotel rooms in advance. Will I be able to find non-hostel lodging along my way without difficulty? It will be in mid-October, and I'm pretty flexible as to where to stay. My budget is also flexible.

- Any tips on must sees along the way?

Thanks!

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Five Days in October + Hotel Availability

It's a very long drive from the Bay of Islands to Wellington - over 12 hours. We did it in 2 days. I don't think you can do BoI, Coromandel and end in Wellington in 5 days. I think you should either visit the BoI for a few days and then fly from Auckland to Wellington, or spend the five days driving from Auckland to Wellington. Rotorua could easily take up a couple of days. You could visit Coromandel on the way.

Not booking accommodation will be fine. I always recommend booking in Wellington just because the hotels are sprinkled around the city.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Five Days in October + Hotel Availability

Welcome to the forum :)

It actually makes better sense to have a campervan (which drives about 20% slower than car) for the compact North Island and have a car for the more rugged terrain and longer driving distances of the South Island.

You have about 10 days for the South Island? - are you flying back to Auckland from Chch, Queenstown or Dunedin?

While a free and easy trip is fine when you have months in an area, trying to cover the logistics when you only have 10 days makes less sense as you pretty much need to move each day to make your flight in time.

Perhaps you need to rethink some of this visit :)

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,115 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Five Days in October + Hotel Availability

Agree with Weta, after Auckland you will be best to head south for Wellington with a stop in the volcanic region, but you can fit the Coromandel into the 5 days.

suggest

Day 1 & 2 - Auckland to Coromandel peninsula - 2 nights

Day 3 & 4 - Rotorua/Taupo - 2 nights

Day 5 - Wellington (if your hotel is booked for Day 5).

cleveland, oh
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Five Days in October + Hotel Availability

Thanks for the tips, everyone! (Why haven't I posted earlier?) Will switch courses and just go from Auckland to Wellington at a leisurely pace, as opposed to trying to fit in BOL.

As for South Island, I was really looking forward to exploring that area via campervan, and I have more time down there as well. I'm flying out of Christchurch to Auckland at the end, so in reality I'll only have 8 days with the campervan. Still think this isn't enough time?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Five Days in October + Hotel Availability

8 days by campervan;

1 ferry to Picton, train to Chch

2 collect campervan, drive to Dunedin

3 explore Otago Peninsula - penguins, albatross, fur seals

4 drive to Queenstown

5 explore

6 drive to Aoraki/Mt Cook

7 explore Tasman glacier and icebergs

8 drive to Chch, fly to Auckland

In my opinion, to spend 18 days in NZ with merely 8 days in the South Island is poor allocation of time. You would be wise to have a minimum of 10 days by campervan, then once in Chch, you could;

1 drive Arthur's Pass to Hokitika

2 drive to Franz Josef, explore glaciers

3 drive Haast Pass to Wanaka

4 drive to Te Anau, glow worm caves

5 explore Milford by bus, cruise, stay te Anau

6 drive to Queenstown

7 explore

8 drive Lindis Pass to Aoraki/Mt Cook

9 drive to Chch

10 fly to Auckland

6. Re: Five Days in October + Hotel Availability

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2014, 05:18