We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sightseeing on route between Hahei and Rotorua

Belgium
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sightseeing on route between Hahei and Rotorua

Hello. We will be travelling between Hahei and Rotorua in december, and was wondering what things we could see/do on that trip ? We will probably drive through Tauranga on our route.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,162 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sightseeing on route between Hahei and Rotorua

The road from Hahei to Tauranga doesn't follow the coast too closely. All the little beach resort areas are preety, but time consuming to visit! If you have time, Mount Maunganui is worth a detour from Tauranga. You could climb "The Mount" or walk around it for a break from driving, or just go beach-combing at its base!

Further east at Te Puke is Kiwi 360 which my Chinese students enjoy, and there is also the Comvita Honey Farm.

Belgium
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sightseeing on route between Hahei and Rotorua

thx for your input. Gonna put that Mount maunganui on my list.

I'm leaving at 10am in Hahei, and have all day.

The Martha Goldmine in Waihi, is that digsite watchable from some lookout point?

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sightseeing on route between Hahei and Rotorua

There is a gold mine museum in Waihi. We were able to stand at a lookout point close to the museum and watch the trucks and workers at the bottom of the deep, deep hole.

Katikati has interesting murals depicting the town history and a museum .

You could detour to Hobbiton near Matamata .

4. Re: Sightseeing on route between Hahei and Rotorua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2014, 06:20