We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
82 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a trip

Hello!

I am in the VERY beginning stages of considering a trip to New Zealand. I have friends living in Taupo who have invited me to stay with them. Is off-season in New Zealand that bad? I was considering looking into the June time frame. I just travelled to Iceland off-season, so I can't imagine New Zealand being too bad - but what do i know! :)

Any suggestions would be very welcome! Thank you in advance for your time!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,277 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip

Welcome to the NZ Forum, Jess! How long are you planning to stay? For a number of years I have taken Chinese students to the North Island of NZ in july as that is the only month they have free and we always have a great time. June is the beginning of winter so you should get to see fresh snow on the central volcanoes (Tongariro National park). Taupo has natural hot pools and is close to Rotorua.

As long as you are prepared for cold weather (overnight frosts will be likely in the inland areas) you should still be able to enjoy NZ's scenery.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
82 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip

Thank you! I am prepared for cold weather (just got back from Iceland and live in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania) I am hoping to come for about 10 days. I want to take in as much as possible, but the folks who invited me are leaving in August - so my time frame is limited. I'm so excited by the opportunity. New Zealand has always been on my bucket list, I just wasn't sure if it was possible - now I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel :)

3. Re: Planning a trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 05:17