We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car - to buy or to hire...

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
154 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Car - to buy or to hire...

Hello

arriving into Auckland on January 13th, looking to have a car from the 16th to head off exploring.

will be using the car until February 26/27th when leaving Christchurch

My basic question is whether it would be better to hire a car for that period (have got a quote of $859) or to chance buying a car at auction or privately and try to sell it on when leaving Christchurch.

All advice welcome.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,430 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car - to buy or to hire...

Points to consider -

- do you have a few weeks spare to hang around and wait for a sale?

- I presume you plan to buy an older car - with older car issues. Any repairs etc while you own it are at your cost. If a rental has issues you can simply swap for another car.

- have you factored in the cost (and time) for new registration, insurance etc?

I think buying a car for a years stay makes sense. For 5 or 6 weeks? Not worth the time and costs.

Best of luck :)

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car - to buy or to hire...

Your time in the country is too short for the buy and sell option to work. It's going to take a day to buy the car. I don't know what you could do about insurance but that wouldn't be cheap for just 6 weeks. Then you will need at least a day probably more to sell the car in Chch. That could account for 5-10% of your holiday time just sorting the car! Not to mention that assuming you are buying an old car with an uncertain history, you run the risk of losing time due to a breakdown on the way.

Edited: 30 December 2013, 20:36
Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
154 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car - to buy or to hire...

Ok.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car - to buy or to hire...

Totally agree with the other posts, I would think about 3 months would be the minimum stay that would justify considering buying a car.

5. Re: Car - to buy or to hire...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 05:17