We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too much for 9 nights???

Adelaide, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Too much for 9 nights???

Hi All,

Heading to NZ for the first time next month for a quick driving holiday staying in hostels 9 nights total, we have picked our route which looks fine on Google maps (telling me about 2 hours drive between each stop) but would like to know if its realistic and im trying to cram too much in, if i am i dont know where is best to cut back:

Arrive 11pm, pick up car and to straight to hotel in Auckland for the night

Coromandel, Whitianga - 2 nights already booked

Mount Maungananui - 1 night already booked

Rotorua - 1 night

Taupo - 1 night

Waitomo - 1 night

Auckland - 2 nights - fly our 1pm on last day (is one of these nights better spent at another place, im more of a scenery and adventure girl than city girl?)

i have booked hostels for our first few nights, being peak season would it be risky if i didnt book the rest until im there and book say with 24 hours notice? That way we can be alot more flexible and decide we want to stay somewhere a night extra if we really like it?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too much for 9 nights???

Hi Kelly,

Suggest with a late night arrival into Auckland, spend this at a hotel around the airport area in place of Auckland city. Free parking onsite, or a small parking fee in the airport area, compared to city prices in parking buildings - even at discounted rates. Easy access to the southern motorway too the following morning. You'll find very reasonably priced accommodation in the airport area, although not hostels as such.

Instead of 2 nights in Auckland at the end, use of these nights for a 2nd night in Rotorua. Lots of activities and thermal scenery around Rotorua - lakes, rivers, bush & forest walks, thermal sites, outdoor activities.

Adelaide, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Too much for 9 nights???

Ive just booked our first night at the Ibis Budget near the Airport (formally Formule1) with complimentry parking about 15 minutes ago! So based on your advice happy with that decision.

Thanks for the advice, i think id prefer to use that extra night somewhere other than the city.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too much for 9 nights???

The Ibis rooms are compact, but entirely functional for a short stay. I found its location and price to be very good value. Continental breakfast is available (self service) for approx. $10.

Think you'll enjoy Rotorua and its environs. Lakeside area, the government gardens and the CBD are all attractive as well.

Cheers.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,692 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too much for 9 nights???

Is it one night Coromandel and one night Whitianga or...?

5. Re: Too much for 9 nights???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 06:18