We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in North Island with family- Recommendations?

laie, hawaii
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
4 days in North Island with family- Recommendations?

I will be traveling for work in Auckland for a couple days and then vacationing with my family for 4 days in Feb. I have two children (she will be 6 when we travel and my son is 3). My husband and I thought about taking the kids to Hobbiton for the afternoon and staying at a B&B close by in Rotorua. I've inquired with 124 on Brunswick, but looking for a backup if they cannot accommodate my family. We also thought about doing the Karamu Trail Package since it looks like a great experience for the kids and super affordable.

Would appreciate any insight on other recommendations for cultural activities/attractions before we travel back to Auckland and fly home to Hawaii. Also, any recommendations for those who have traveled from Auckland to Rotorua and Hamilton and rental car and experienced these places I just listed. I don't mind driving since the North Island looks absolutely beautiful. I only wish I had enough time to visit the South Island!

Thank you!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in North Island with family- Recommendations?

Hi Ilfonoimoana, welcome to the forum.

The Rotorua area is awesome for families. There are lots of activities suitable for children including the Agrodome sheep shearing, Rainbow Springs activities including Kiwi birds, a short lake cruise to Mokoia island, visiting the Polynesian Pools for a thermal dip, the lakefront playgrounds and reserve area for a stroll, the Redwood Forest trails, thermal parks in and around Rotorua city including Kuirau park, Te Puia Maori arts and crafts centre and thermal tour, lakes, streamside walks and waterfalls. Plenty to do, suggest you stay for 2 nights at least.

Visit Taupo as well while you are in the region. While I'm not familiar with the B&B you refer to, NZ has some great choices for s/c motel lodges and serviced apartments, as well as holiday park cabins and hotels. I'm sure you'll find suitable accommodation for your family.

Need to prebook your Hobbiton tour for a February visit.

There are some good attractions in/around Auckland for families. Kelly tarlton's being one. For a cultural attraction, the Auckland Museum puts on twice daily Maori concerts in the Maori section on the ground floor.

Enjoy your NZ visit.

laie, hawaii
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in North Island with family- Recommendations?

Thank you very much! These are great recommendations and I will definitely look into it. We are very excited to be visiting New Zealand!

3. Re: 4 days in North Island with family- Recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2015, 07:17