We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9/10 days itinerary in North Island in December

Marsascala, Malta
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
9/10 days itinerary in North Island in December

Currently planning a 9 or 10 days holiday in North Island. Very interested in beaches but still unsure whether it's worth going up north to Bay of Islands.

Here is the plan up to now:

Day 1: Arrive in Auckland in afternoon, check in at hotel.

Day 2: Stay in Auckland and visit the city

Day 3: Drive up to Bay of Islands

Day 4: Explore Bay of Islands

Day 5: Drive to Coromandels (I know it's a very long drive...over 5 hours...but wouldn't mind stopping somewhere for an hour or two since I'll have a day assigned for this)

Day 6: Stay in Coromandels

Day 7: Drive to Rotorua (en route stop at Matamata for Hobbiton)

Day 8: Rotorua

Day 9: Rotorua

Day 10: Drive to Waitamo for the caves, then drive up to Auckland for flight (Flight should be around 6pm)

Any help/ideas are welcome....especially for Bay of Islands (is it recommended or is Coromandel enough??) and for the last day...the drive to Waitomo...is it worth the drive? Or should we go for an excursion whilst in Rotorua?

Thanks all :)

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
14,527 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9/10 days itinerary in North Island in December

Hi OoWE,

The drive from BOI to Coromandel - west presumably (Thames?) is going to be a long day. Further than I would recommend for visitors and in December's warm weather. I appreciate the Bay cruises from Paihia are awesome and with lovely coastal scenery. If you are looking for a lengthy rest stop, drive to Waiwera - Hatfields Beach - Orewa. Use the 'free route' that exits SH1 before the entry to the toll tunnel south of Puhoi.

If you are wanting to get onto the water closer to Auckland, A Perfect Day cruise from Tutukaka to the Poor Knights Islands may appeal. Otherwise, there is much to explore on Coromandel. 3 nights could be spent on this peninsula with a night at Mt Maunganui beach. Tauranga and the Mount are both handy to Matamata.

If you are planning a caves tour, this is best done on the drive back to Auckland. So much to see and do around Rotorua and Taupo, it requires near to a full daytrip just to visit the caves from Rotorua.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
66 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9/10 days itinerary in North Island in December

Bay of Islands is nice, and its a very long drive to the Coromandel, however i'd head to Tauranga and Mt Maunganui for a day or two (possibly climb the Mt), then to Rotorua. Do Waitomo on your way back to Auckland with a possible overnight stay in Raglan before Auckland.

Have Fun!!

3. Re: 9/10 days itinerary in North Island in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2015, 06:17