We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8-days itinerary in motorhome with kids (5 and 2)

sydney
Level Contributor
183 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
8-days itinerary in motorhome with kids (5 and 2)

Kia Ora,

I have already posted some messages on this topic but thought I should start a clean one.

After weeks of researching, our itinerary will look like this – we will then adjust once we are there but I have tried to gather as much info as I could (campsites, powered sites, playgrounds, family activities etc...) before we leave so we have a good idea of what to do and where to go:

Day 1 – Arrive in Auckland + night in Auckland

Day 2 – Pick up motorhome from airport + drive to Tongariro NP including stops at Waitomo Caves and Te Kuiti for lunch + night at Discovery Lodge (longest day on road)

Day 3 – Morning: drive to Whakapapa village and take the chairlift ride and enjoy the views from the cafe (no bushwalking planned at that stage)

Afternoon: Easter event at Ohakune including kids rides, food stalls etc...sounds like a great way to spend the afternoon with the kids

+ night in Mangawhero DOC

Day 4 – Drive Desert Road to Taupo. Not sure what else to do on that day. Thinking about stopping at the Tongariro Estate for lunch as it seems quite child friendly or may be go on a cruise on Lake Taupo to see the Maori carvings (Barbary cruise departs at 2PM from Taupo) + night in Five Mile DOC

Day 5 – Morning: Huka Falls and Liliput Farm (for the kids)

Afternoon: drive to Waikite Campground, may be stop at Hidden Valley on the way or go straight to campground and enjoy hot pools

+ night at Waikite campground

Day 6: Visit Wai-o-Tapu and Buried Village as it seems very kids friendly with playground, kids activities etc...exactly what we are looking for!

Then drive to Waihi + spend night near Waihi (Bowentown caravan park?)

Day 7 – Drive to Waikawau Bay (DOC) and stop on the way at Hot Water beach and Cathedral Cove + night at Waikawau Bay

Day 8 – Waikawau Bay – nothing planned – rest

Day 9 – Drive back to Auckland – stop at Coromandel for Creek train. We must be at the depot in Auckland airport by 3.45PM + night in Auckland

Now I still have a couple of questions:

- Given that we won’t be able to do any long walk in Tongariro NP, should we skip Ohakune and Desert Road?

- Instead of spending 2 nights in Tongariro (1 in National Park, 1 in Ohakune) should be spend only 1 night and drive to Taupo the day after via road SH47? The main consideration for us is to be able to get a good view of all the volcanoes

Any suggestion welcome.

Cheers

1. Re: 8-days itinerary in motorhome with kids (5 and 2)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2015, 05:16