We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming to NZ from across the world! Please help decide.

Lahore, Pakistan
6 posts
Save Topic
Coming to NZ from across the world! Please help decide.

Hello all,

Me and my husband are going to be taking an 18 hour flight to reach New Zealand. We will be coming around 1st June and staying for approximately 10 days. I am completely clueless about the routes and all my info and itinerary planning is internet based so please guide me and correct me regarding this trip.

We are a couple who wants to do adventurous activities like sky diving, water sports but nothing of the hiking or trekking sort. We mainly enjoy malls, shopping, good restaurants and city life also. We want to stay in good resort hotels.

Assuming we reach Auckland on the 1st

1st - 4th - stay in Auckland and explore the city

4th morning - drive to Lake Taupo via Waitomo caves (this can be done in a day right?)

4th night we reach Lake Taupo and then till 6th we stay there

6th morning - Leave lake taupo and drive back to Auckland via Rotorua

(Is rotorua even worth seeing? If yes then can it be done within a day so that we can reach auckland by the 6th evening? If that is not possible then we stay the night in rotorua? How else can rotorua, waitomo and lake taupo be planned? PlEASE HELP! ) Bear in mind that the only reason we need to go back to Auckland is to catch a flight to Queenstown. If we can get a flight there from Lake taupo then please let me know about that also.

6th night - presuming we see rotorua during the day and reach Auckland by night

7th morning - flight out to queens town and stay there till 11th

On 11th we plan to leave New Zealand. So, can we get a flight out of country (Singapore on Thai Airways) from Queenstown or will we have to fly back to Auckland and then get a flight out of the country?

Any sort of help will be much appreciated! Thank you!!

If you think this is too much traveling in too little time or it will get too hectic to do all this please do let me know as we don't want to rush but this is more of a relaxing trip for us. Also please guide us according to the weather. Which areas will be pleasant to visit and which won't.

Alternatively, i can just stay in the North Island and skip Queenstown altogether and instead explore Bays of Island or Waiheke island nearby Auckland? But is the weather feasible for that?

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming to NZ from across the world! Please help decide.

I think you have it about right. Why are you going to Taupo?

As for flying home , you can give yourself another day if you fly from Queenstown to Sydney and then continue on.

Your last comment is best, stay in the north island.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,388 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming to NZ from across the world! Please help decide.

I shall leave the North Island to the local experts but your choice of itinerary appears odd to me. Why spend so long in Auckland to then cram two days of activities/drives into one day?

Do you have a plan for your 3 days in Queenstown?

Lahore, Pakistan
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming to NZ from across the world! Please help decide.

Because like I said we enjoy the city life also, probably more so my husband wants to stay in Auckland for longer.

No I haven't looked up activities in queens town but I've heard it's a must go? Do you recommended going there and if so what activities?

Lahore, Pakistan
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming to NZ from across the world! Please help decide.

Trelawn, what do you suggest? We shouldn't go to Taupo? I read good things about it.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,158 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming to NZ from across the world! Please help decide.

Taupo is scenic and popular for fishing and boating, however you will be visiting New Zealand in winter so it may be less appealing at that time of the year. Rotorua is a popular tourist spot because of it's geothermal activity (hot pools, geysers etc) and Maori culture. There is a lot to do there. I suggest you look at the attractions listed for each place here on TripAdvisor, and see what suits your tastes better.

It would be possible to fly from Rotorua to Queenstown, with a change in Wellington or Christchurch. Taupo has an airport, but less flights from it.

Regarding Auckland, New Zealand is not known for its cities, but if you prefer city activities, then Auckland has a good choice of restaurants and bars. You will probably find shopping expensive though.

Edited: 26 April 2014, 22:53
Blenheim, New...
Level Contributor
871 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming to NZ from across the world! Please help decide.

Taupo is a nice enough location, but unless you are into fly fishing or boating most of the winter highlights can be seen in a few hours. Giving your limited time I would personally skip Taupo and spend more time in Rotorua which has a lot more to offer

Say..

1st - 4th Auckland

4th morning - drive to Rotorua via Waitomo

6th morning fly to Queenstown from Rotorua

or alternatively spend your entire time in the North Island. In 11 days you could do the loop around the Volcanic Plateau which is very scenic. Although, the roads can be closed during winter storms for a few days.

Something like this

1-4 Auckland

4th Auckland-Waitomo end the day in National park.

5th National Park to Taupo via Waiouru and the desert road.

6th Taupo

7-10th Rotorua (Can spend 1 fewer day in Rotorua if you want to spend a day Skiing)

10th drive back to Auckland.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,139 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming to NZ from across the world! Please help decide.

It doesn't really sound like Queenstown is the right choice for you. It calls itself the adventure capital of NZ and although there are some fabulous resorts there, the focus is on outdoor activities, including golf & wine-tasting (not just the adrenaline activities. But it will be cold & not very suitable for water sports.

Wellington is a lovely little city (again a bit cold in June) but has the art galleries, museums & theatre of a capital city.

Basically most people don't come to NZ for cities or resorts.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Coming to NZ from across the world! Please help decide.

Given the time of year and the fact that you enjoy water sports and cities, I think you should consider Australia instead. June is winter and too cold for water sports in NZ, and NZ does not have any cities on the scale of Melbourne or Sydney. I'd suggest a nice resort in Port Douglas, Noosa or the Gold Coast, plus a stay in Sydney, would be good option for you. I'd suggest planning a NZ trip another time, during summer.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
746 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coming to NZ from across the world! Please help decide.

I agree with Jean. Australia in June is much warmer and the places suggested would allow you to stay in the resort hotels you like.

10. Re: Coming to NZ from across the world! Please help decide.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2015, 05:16